HAVERFORD, Pa. – A supermarket employee in suburban Philadelphia had a rude surprise Saturday when he was stung by a scorpion hiding in a shipment of bananas. Haverford police and EMS responded and transported the man to a local hospital. They also had to catch and transport the scorpion so doctors could identify the species.
There are more than 1,500 species of scorpions, but only 30 are considered dangerous, according to the Mayo Clinic. A sting, though painful, usually is harmless.
Chris Brand, public and community relations manager for the Giant supermarket company, stated in a news release that the produce associate was treated at Delaware County Memorial Hospital, and later released.
“We regret that this incident has occurred and are taking immediate steps to prevent a similar incident from happening in the future,” Brand said. “We will continue to diligently inspect product both at our perishable distribution center and at the store while thoroughly investigating this serious matter with our suppliers.”