Brief: Avoid Carbon Monoxide poisoning | ParkRecord.com

Brief: Avoid Carbon Monoxide poisoning

PR

In Utah, 273 cases of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and 22 deaths were reported in 2007 (the latest numbers available. As winter approaches, the risk for CO poisoning increases. Symptoms: severe headaches and dizziness (usually affecting more than one person in an enclosed area), nausea, vomiting and fatigue especially if the symptoms disappear when individuals leave the structure. If the presence of CO is suspected call Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222, or 911. Tips for preventing poisoning: Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas-, oil-, or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year. Install an Underwriters Laboratory-approved CO monitor on each level of your home. Owners of boats and recreational vehicles with propane stoves or heaters should install CO detectors. Inspect homes after heavy snow fall and make sure snow is removed from around exhaust stacks, vents, and fresh air intakes. Do not use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline- or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement or garage or near a window. Generators should be located at least 20 feet from an occupied structure. Do not run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open. Do not burn anything in a stove or fireplace that is not vented. Do not heat your house with a gas oven.

Go back to article