Main Street offers off-season deals
Ryan Summerlin September 30, 2013
The Historic Park City Alliance (HPCA) decided to create an off-season event to help drive business to what Maren Mullin, President of the HPCA, calls a "historically challenging time for businesses." "A Peek at Historic Park City will be held every Saturday on Main Street from Sept. 28 to Oct. 26, with free parking, discounts from Park City merchants and special events.
Meisha Lawson, public relations for the HPCA, said that this began several years ago with "Locals Thursdays," but having it on Thursdays limited who they could attract to come out.
"This year, we decided it would be fun to try something different and make a bigger deal about it," Lawson said.
Mullin, owner of Gallery MAR on Main Street, said that the HPCA wanted to help drive business toward the merchants that give back to the community every year.
"I think it’s a really great opportunity for our locals to support the businesses that support them year-round," Mullin said. "Every time there is a fundraiser or event, our Main Street businesses are asked to donate and give back to the community, so this is an opportunity for people to shop local."
She said the HPCA has worked with the City to offer free parking, something people get very excited about. The City allows Main Street a certain number of free parking days a year, and they are using five of those days for "A Peek of Historic Park City."
Lawson said that the HPCA emailed every Main Street merchant and asked them if they would like to participate and offer some sort of discount, promotion or event at their place of business. Those that have not yet responded are still welcome to come aboard, she said.
In addition to discounts, Mullin and Lawson hoped the special events will also attract customers to Historic Park City. High West Distillery will host one such event the weekend of Oct. 19. According to Lawson, they will be partnering with Blue Sky Adventures to create a booth and offer hay rides that day.
Mullin’s business, Gallery MAR, will also be doing something different. She said they will host kids’ crafts activities every Saturday such as hemp beading and making "silly Halloween masks," and she is working on procuring a local artist to hold a demonstration at the gallery.
"This is the first year," Mullin said. "We decided we could get a larger reach if we incorporated Saturdays into the mix, and of course, everyone loves free parking."
"A Peek of Historic Park City" will lead up to, "Small Business Saturday," the first Saturday after Thanksgiving. That will kick off the winter promotion beginning that weekend with even more elements like window display contests and carolers, Mullin said.
In the meantime, merchants will be offering discounts, promotions and events on historic Main Street hoping to get locals and visitors ready for the winter season.
"New friends and locals coming in, that’s what we want," Mullin said.
For more information, visit www.historicparkcityutah.com/calendar/a-peek-of-historic-park-city.
- "A Peek of Historic Park City"
When: Every Saturday from Sept. 28 to Oct. 26
Where: Historic Main Street
- Buona Vita: Three-course meal for $19.99 through Oct. 12
- The Bridge: 25% off total bill.
- Vinto: $5 Margherita Pizza during lunch hours of 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Eating Establishment: $11.25 fish taco special with $3 margaritas for lunch and dinner.
- Additional offers from High West Distillery & Saloon, Flying Sumo and Shabu
- Deer Valley Signatures: Drawing for two Deer Valley lift tickets each Saturday at 4 p.m. No purchase necessary, need not be present.
- Expanding Heart: 10% off all clothing (sale clothing excluded), and $15 for a 15-minute reading by one of the store’s intuitive readers.
- Livin’ Life Park City: Select local artisan collections at 15% off
- Mary Jane’s: Local designer truck shows each Saturday, beverages and snacks included.
- Mountain Town Olive Oil: Buy 5, get 1 free on herbs and spices, oils and vinegars.
- Otto Parts: 20% off total purchase
- Park City Clothing Company: 15% off any pair of in-stock Western boots (excluding sale and vintage boots).
- PROSPECT and PROSPECT Youth: 15% off total purchase
- Additional offers from Pine and Southwest Expressions
- Gallery MAR: Kids’ crafts or Artist Demo every Saturday. Local artists Bridgette Meinhold, Andrzej Skorut, Ron Russon and Adam Winegar showcased in the gallery.
- J GO Gallery: 15% off any one piece of art jewelry from the Sparkle & Bling Collection
- Additional offers from Terzian Galleries
- Additional Events and Offers:
- Weekly: Free Parking on Main Street
- Daily: 5:30 p.m. Ghost Tours by Park City Ghost Tours for $15.
- Sept. 28: World Trade Center Artifact Display on lower Main Street with a special presentation at 1 p.m.
- Oct. 19 and 26: Anyone with Utah ID will receive 25% off lodging at Washington School House