Taco Maker out, Alberto’s in
April 4, 2014
The Taco Maker on the corner of Bonanza Drive and Kearns Boulevard moved out overnight Thursday, April 3. Friday, a U-Haul and several trucks were parked outside the fast food restaurant to remove equipment and décor.
Karl Birkelund, owner of an Alberto’s Mexican Food franchise in Salt Lake City, said the owner of the property formerly known as Taco Maker, Michael LaPay, contacted him several months ago to let him know his property would be available.
Leonard Cruz, corporate supervisor of the Taco Maker, said they received a call from their company saying the owner of the property had decided to make some changes and they would be moving out. Cruz had help from former Taco Maker employees to do so.
"[LaPay] decided to make a change, so Taco Maker is gone and we are moving in," Birkelund said. "Today [April 4] is the first day of our transition into the building, and hopefully we will open in July."
He said they will completely gut the interior to start over and revamp the building with a brand new look. This is Birkelund’s second Alberto’s Mexican Food franchise. The first is located at 511 South 300 West in Salt Lake City.
Trending In: Business
- Park City rejects challenge of former art center redo
- Restaurants see opportunity in fall shoulder season
- Juvenile charged as investigation into teen deaths continues
- Park City party, giant and ‘chaotic,’ involves fights, spitting, drinking
- Coalville man recovering from leg amputation credited with saving woman