Carbon monoxide cases reported in Park City | ParkRecord.com

Carbon monoxide cases reported in Park City

by Jay Hamburger THE PARK RECORD

Emergency crews in Park City since late November have responded to at least three cases that were reported as involving carbon monoxide, Park City Police Department logs show.

It is not uncommon for the Police Department and the Park City Fire District to receive reports about carbon monoxide in the late fall and early winter, as people turn on furnaces for the first time of the season.

The cases in the Police Department logs included:

  • on Nov. 26 at 9:53 a.m., a carbon monoxide alarm sounded in a building on Prospector Avenue.
  • on Nov. 20 at 8:36 p.m., an alarm sounded on Sterling Drive
  • on Nov. 20 at 7:26 p.m., someone on Empire Avenue reported that a carbon monoxide alarm was triggered

    The police logs did not provide details, including what sort of buildings were involved. The logs also did not offer information about whether anyone suffered symptoms of carbon monoxide symptoms. The Fire District said none of the cases was serious.

    Both the Police Department and the Fire District typically respond to carbon monoxide reports within the Park City limits.

    Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be fatal if someone is exposed to it for long enough. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, fatigue, nausea and dizziness. The symptoms can resemble the flu. More serious symptoms include vomiting and mental confusion.

    Recommended Stories For You

    Malfunctioning appliances like furnaces, hot-water heaters and ovens sometimes release carbon monoxide.

    The Fire District has long recommended people take precautions like keeping appliances well maintained, having appliances fixed by professionals and not using gas-powered tools in enclosed spaces.

    The Fire District also recommends people install carbon monoxide detectors outside of bedrooms and on each floor of a residence.

    More information about carbon monoxide precautions is available on the website of the federal Consumer Product safety Commission. The direct link is: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/466.html

  • Go back to article