Main Street parade problems solved with Triple Crown attendees | ParkRecord.com

Main Street parade problems solved with Triple Crown attendees

by Andrew Kirk, OF THE RECORD STAFF

For the first time last year, the Triple Crown Softball tournament’s opening ceremonies were held in the form of parades down Main Street. Many Main Street merchants have been complaining ever since.

The tournament is three weeks in July with different teams arriving every week. Consequently the street hosts three parades of junior-high and high-school girls for cheering parents. According to witnesses, last year they made quite the mess.

The city and Park City Chamber/Bureau listened and merchants are now saying this year’s first parade on July 6 was a success.

At the last meeting of the Historic Main Street Business Alliance in April, frustrations were vented. Several gallery owners said the athletes, their parents and coaches are not art clients and shutting down the street for them keeps away any potential buyers.

But most complaints involved the mess. Merchants were forced to clean up candy, gum and confetti from their front entrances and sometimes their storefronts.

Tana Toly Ireland of the Red Banjo Pizzeria said they made a lot of money during the parades, but had to clean up gum afterwards.

Recommended Stories For You

"It beat up Main Street," city special events coordinator Max Paap said.

But he and others working with tournament organizers said they "took the bull by the horns."

Bob Kollar, director of special events for the Chamber/Bureau said no throwing of candy, confetti or souvenirs (like beads) was allowed this year. The teams were assigned to the top floor of the China Bridge parking garage, which cut down on noise. The parade was also better organized and over in an hour, which minimized the time street parking was unavailable.

"All in all, people were generally happy," he said.

Paap said tournament organizers were also cooperative.

"They’ve been really good. They listen when we debrief. They’d really like to keep it here," Paap said. "It’s real important to the girls to have the parade."

Kollar said the community is likely to extend its contract with the tournament.

Nancy Samson of the Meyer Gallery said she didn’t have to pick up a single piece of trash this year.

"They’re so cute with their yellow hair and enthusiasm," she said.

Kai Bolger, director at the Thomas Kearns McCarthy Gallery said she’s seen no problems whatsoever this year.

"I felt the group of people brought light-hearted excitement without any of the negative I’ve seen. It was a happy crowd, beautiful day and added to the feeling on Main Street," she said. "It brings a positive energy and we need that right now."

The next and last Triple Crown parade will be July 20

Go back to article