Part of finger amputated after dog bite | ParkRecord.com

Part of finger amputated after dog bite

Patrick Parkinson, Of the Record staff

Part of a man’s pinky finger was amputated after a dog bit him last weekend in the forest east of Kamas.

The victim, who is a seasoned campground host in the Wasatch-Cache National Forest, was patrolling the Lily Lake area when he was attacked, U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Lorraine Januzelli said.

"It’s been a pretty big problem," she said, adding that campers are not properly supervising pets in the forest.

According to Januzelli, the incident was the second time in three years a dog has bitten a host in the Lily Lake campground.

Kamas Ranger District officials have seen problems caused by unleashed pets more than double since this time last year, she said.

The dog was reportedly placed into quarantine for 10 days.

Recommended Stories For You

"It’s really an unfortunate incident all around, not only did the campground host lose part of his finger, but a family’s beloved pet is now incarcerated," Kamas District Ranger Cathy Kahlow said in a press release. "Dogs can be great companions and are welcome in the forest, but for the safety of everyone, pet owners must keep control of their dogs at all times, especially in the developed areas."

The U.S. Forest Service requires dogs remain leashed while in crowded areas like trailheads, campgrounds and picnic sites.

Loose dogs in the forest could be struck by automobiles or taken by predators, Kahlow said.

Unleashed dogs have reportedly been involved in collisions with cyclists in the Wasatch-Cache.

Dogs were banned from entering some national forests because of threats they pose to wildlife, say U.S. Forest Service officials, who added, "a large-size dog could easily take down a fawn."

Go back to article