Francis woman spots funnel cloud
September 13, 2013
A Francis woman spotted a rare occurrence in Utah on Wednesday a funnel cloud. Kristi Major said she saw the funnel cloud behind the peaks of Victory Ranch near Francis.
"I left for Park City for home at about 4:30, driving through a double rainbow," Major said. "I made a right to go to Kamas and noticed thunder clouds around. There was a little protrusion of sorts. I watched it and it started growing."
As soon as Major realized what the protrusion was, she pulled over to the side of the road and took a couple of pictures with her camera. She said the funnel cloud was visible for no more than 10 minutes.
"It looked like it was right over my house," Major said. "It seemed to be drifting. The tail, as it stretched out, looked like it was at the top of Victory Ranch."
The funnel cloud appeared in the midst of a torrential downpour, as roughly 0.25 inches of rain fell on Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service.
"I’ve traveled all over the Caribbean. I’ve seen [funnel clouds] all over the ocean," Major said. "I’ve never seen one in Utah before like that. It’s pretty unique."
Trending In: Summit County
- Sheriff’s Report: nine rescued after hot air balloon strikes live power line
- Summit County Library suspects homeless man of sneaking in after-hours
- Pinebrook woman appeals to County Council for traffic mitigation along Kilby Road
- Court Report: April 8-11, 2017
- Bountiful Eagle Scout candidate chooses project benefitting Summit County