Local riders win six national titles
July 22, 2014
When the dust had cleared at the USA Cycling Cross-Country Mountain Bike National Championships on Sunday, Park City riders had claimed six national titles and three third-place finishes. The championships, held at Bear Creek Resort in Macungie, Penn., July 17-20, attracted top talent from around the country.
Katie Clouse, who is sponsored by Cole Sport, took first in the 9-16 junior women’s short-track event on Thursday, July 17, finishing the course in 13 minutes and 35 seconds, 23 seconds ahead of Emma Drummond of Springdale, Ark. And on Friday, July 18, Clouse again crossed the line first, winning the 13-14 junior women’s cross-country event in 34 minutes and 9 seconds, outdistancing Turner Ramsay of Rutland, Vt., by one minute and 25 seconds. Mila Leger Redel of Park City finished third in that race in 37:06.
Haley Batten, sponsored by Whole Athlete/Specialized Cycling Team, dominated the 15-16 junior women’s cross-country event on Friday, winning in 1:10:08, more than a minute in front of Kelsey Urban of Kentfield, Calif. Third place in that event went to another Park City athlete, Sienna Leger Redel, sponsored by Summit Utah Devo.
Batten set a blistering pace again on Sunday, July 20, to win the 15-18 junior women’s Super Downhill race in six minutes, 47.6 seconds. Kelsey Urban finished second, six seconds behind Batten.
Keegan Swenson (Cannondale), who finished fourth a year ago, outlasted a pair of Durango, Colo., riders, Howard Grotts and Sepp Kuss, to win Friday’s U23 men’s cross-country race in 1:29:30. Swenson was also a contender early in the men’s pro short-track race on Sunday but eventually finished outside the top 10.
Sydney Palmer-Leger was the class of the 11-12 junior women’s cross-country event on Friday, winning in 34 minutes and 46 seconds, more than two minutes ahead of the second-place finisher, Ann Drummond of Springdale, Ark. It marks the third year in a row that Palmer-Leger has captured the national championship in her age group.
Recommended Stories For You
On Saturday, Evelyn Dong finished third in the women’s pro cross-country race behind Lea Davison of Jericho, Vt., and Georgia Gould of Fort Collins, Colo. Dong battled Chloe Woodruff of Tucson, Ariz., for third place before pulling away two laps into the race.
Some information for this story came from usacycling.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Wildcats victorious in homecoming blowout over North Summit
- With Tokyo 2020 coming up, USA Karate prepares for the sport’s debut
- Fundraiser for Youth Sports Alliance, Winter Welcome, sold out again
- Everything you need to know about parks, trails, recreation areas and more this week
- With time running out, Park City senior dashes past old record
- Whole Foods art competition is in the bag for Cheech Minniear
- Boy accidentally shoots older brother while hunting in Summit County, police say
- Summit County Search and Rescue helps save man after 150-foot fall near King’s Peak
- Park City’s Main Street noisy, police told
- Park City official named to Olympic committee