Nita Englund snags podium finish
September 2, 2014
FRENSTAT, Czech Republic American Nita Englund, 22, of Steamboat Springs, Colo., secured a third-place finish at the FIS Cup Ladies Normal Hill Individual Competition here Saturday.
Her VISA Women’s Ski Jumping teammate, Nina Lussi, 20, of Lake Placid, N.Y., also had a strong showing, placing fifth in a field of 23 athletes from five countries. Englund soared 91.0 and 88.5 meters to earn 200.5 points and her podium finish. Lussi was close behind, jumping 90.5 and 85.5 meters in her two Saturday jumps and earning 187.5 points.
Both Englund and Lussi also had excellent performances on Friday, placing fourth and fifth, respectively, out of a field of 22 women ski jumpers. Englund jumped 87.0 and 91.5 meters in her two first-round jumps to earn 194 points. Lussi jumped 90 and 90.5 meters in her first-round jumps to earn 191.4 points.
Commenting on her podium finish, Englund said, "I am very happy with this weekend. The hill was challenging in a good way and was a great start to our training camp. The FIS Cup helped me build my confidence and prepare me for more challenging competitions. Nina is one of the best teammates to have, because she is motivational and positive. Vasja is a great fit as the new U.S. travel coach, due to his unique insights on the ski jump. I am excited to be coached by him the rest of this summer and upcoming winter."
"Although I really enjoyed the experience here in Frenstat, I was not 100 percent satisfied with my jumping," Lussi added. "However, it was great spending time with our male American counterparts. Having our competitions together definitely added to the overall morale. I am very excited about our new coach and the connection to Slovenia I know this will be beneficial for future success. Even on this trip we had ski service assistance and help from the Slovenian men’s coach in tailoring our suits. I look forward to working hard alongside Nita and Vasja. This is just the start of many great things to come. We make an excellent team!"
The VISA Women’s Ski Jumping Team will compete next at the Continental Cup in Trondheim, Norway, at the end of September.
Recommended Stories For You
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Wildcats victorious in homecoming blowout over North Summit
- With Tokyo 2020 coming up, USA Karate prepares for the sport’s debut
- Fundraiser for Youth Sports Alliance, Winter Welcome, sold out again
- Everything you need to know about parks, trails, recreation areas and more this week
- With time running out, Park City senior dashes past old record
- Whole Foods art competition is in the bag for Cheech Minniear
- Boy accidentally shoots older brother while hunting in Summit County, police say
- Summit County Search and Rescue helps save man after 150-foot fall near King’s Peak
- Park City’s Main Street noisy, police told
- Park City official named to Olympic committee