Artists invited to apply for the upcoming Monster Drawing Rally |

Artists invited to apply for the upcoming Monster Drawing Rally

Attendees of the Kimball Art Center's annual Monster Draw Rally observe Kevin Arthofer, center, as he uses a paint roller to apply thick, black printing ink on a piece of wood as he makes prints Thursday evening, May 31, 2018. Artists were given just 30 minutes to complete their work before it was raffled off for $50. (Tanzi Propst/Park Record)
Tanzi Propst/Park Record | The Park Record

The Park City Summit County Arts Council and the Kimball Art Center are leaving no stone unturned in their search for artists to participate in their upcoming Monster Drawing Rally.

The event, a fundraiser benefiting the two organizations, is scheduled to be held on June 6 at the Kimball Art Center with an artist application deadline of Tuesday, April 15. Applications can be submitted by visiting the arts council’s website, said managing director Jocelyn Scudder

This is the first time the Monster Drawing Rally has sourced its artists in this way.

“The call for artists is a new approach that we are taking this year,” Scudder said. “One of our goals … is to attract new artists and encourage new talent that have not interacted with us before.”

It will be interesting to see if we can reach artists from the Salt Lake Valley, Heber and Midway…” Jocelyn Scudder, Park City Summit County Arts Council managing editor

Prospective artists don’t have to live in Summit County, either.

“It will be interesting to see if we can reach artists from the Salt Lake Valley, Heber and Midway,” Scudder said. “We know there are amazing creative communities that surround us,”

The call is also open to established and emerging artists.

“The goal is to connect people,” Scudder said. “We want to connect artists with other artists and collectors.”

High-school art students are also encouraged to apply, she said.

“Last year some students and their teacher participated in the rally,” Scudder said. “It was great not only watching them create art in real time, but also fun to see them connect with the older artists, some of whom were their mentors.”

During the event, artists will create works of art in under 50 minutes before putting it up for auction.

“It’s very fast-paced,” Scudder said. “When an artist finishes a piece, they will hold it up and a volunteer will put in a plastic sleeve and hang it on a wall for a live auction.”

All pieces created on site will be sold for $50, and ownership of any piece with more than one successful bidder will be decided by a card draw, Scudder said.

The money raised from the bids will be divided between the Kimball Art Center and the Park City Summit County Arts Council.

The event encourages the production of two-dimensional art — paintings, drawings and printmaking, Scudder said. “Last year, we also had architects create (technical) drawings,” Scudder said. “And we had artists who were sculptors and photographers create 2D work.”

The schedule includes two rounds of drawing.

“There are usually between 20 to 25 artists per session,” Scudder said. “We want to make sure each artist has room to create.”

The rally is based on the model set by Southern Exposure, an art center in San Francisco.

“They created the model, and then made the logo and concept public, so other arts organizations could try it out in their own communities,” Scudder said.

If more than 50 artists apply for this year’s rally, the organizations will decide entrants by committee.

Artists are also welcome to contribute one art piece to the Monster Drawing Rally’s silent auction, which made its debut last year.

Artists set the starting price and will receive 60 percent of the final bid, with the remaining 40 percent going to the art center and the arts council, according to Scudder.

“Since they donate art throughout the night and gain exposure, we really thought it would be helpful to give the artists an opportunity to make some money during the event as well,” she said. “It also gives our guests to see the artists artwork that wasn’t produced in 50 minutes.”

Artist applications can be filled out and submitted at

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User