Ballet West selects new music director
November 20, 2015
Ballet West is pleased to announce the recent appointment of renowned conductor Tara Simoncic as music director.
Simoncic has collaborated with Ballet West since 2012 on productions of "Swan Lake," "Sleeping Beauty," "The Rite of Spring," "Bolero" and "The Lottery."
With an impressive career that ranges from symphony to opera to ballet, she has established herself at the forefront of young American conductors.
"I’m so pleased to welcome Tara Simoncic to the Ballet West family as our new music director and principal conductor," said Ballet West Artistic Director Adam Sklute. "Over the past several years I have brought Tara in for a number of projects and her musicianship, energy and commitment have galvanized our wonderful Ballet West Orchestra. With a team of Tara and Associate Music Director Jared Oaks leading the Music department, I am excited for the future."
Equally at home with all genres, Simoncic recently conducted performances of "Don Giovanni" in Trieste, Italy, at the Piccolo Festival del Friuli Venezia Giulia. She has also conducted "The Barber of Seville" with Slovenian National Opera Ballet Theatre.
"I am thrilled to be appointed Music Director at Ballet West, one of the most exciting and important ballet companies in America," said Simoncic, who has worked with American Ballet Theatre, Rioult Dance Theatre Company, the Martha Graham Dance Company, Chuvash State Opera Ballet Theatre (Russia) and the Slovenia National Opera Ballet Theatre among others.
Recommended Stories For You
She earned a Bachelor of Music degree in Trumpet Performance from the New England Conservatory, a Master of Music degree in Orchestral Conducting from Northwestern University, and received a full scholarship to study at the Manhattan School of Music where she holds a Professional Studies Diploma in Orchestral Conducting.
For more information, visit http://www.balletwest.org.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Father and son of ‘Beautiful Boy’ to tell their story in Park City
- What do to in Park City this weekend: holiday concerts, art shows and Bob Woodward
- The ‘Queen of Versailles’ has a new calling
- Slamdance to honor Oscar winner Steven Soderbergh with 2019 Founders Award
- The public can see Art Elevated at the Swaner EcoCenter
- PCMR indefinitely closes two upper-elevation bowls after losing lease
- UPDATED: Park Record Building evacuated Thursday after bomb threat hoax
- USOC selects Salt Lake City to bid on Winter Olympics
- Park City awaits a Friday decision on fate of Olympic bid
- Park City police blotter: report received of ski collision from January