Girls on the Run Utah will present Lunafest fundraiser |

Girls on the Run Utah will present Lunafest fundraiser

Angela Alford's documentary "Granny's Got Game" will be one of nine films screened at Lunafest. (Photo courtesy of Angela Alford)

Girls on the Run, an after-school program for girls in third, fourth and fifth grades, was established in 1996 in Charlotte, N.C.

The Utah branch was founded in 2007.

The program is designed to help girls develop confidence through a curriculum that integrates running, said Park City resident Lydia Kluge, who is a Girls on the Run Utah board member.

"Each week these girls meet and work out in preparation for a 5K run that takes place in the spring," Kluge said. "In addition to the training that builds up their strength and stamina, the girls will learn about healthy eating and how to prevent bullying."

Girls on the Run Utah expanded into Park City last year with programs at Jeremy Ranch, where Kluge was a running coach, and at Weilenmann School of Discovery.

To raise money, it teamed with Lunafest, a package created in 2000 by LUNA, a company known for making Luna nutrition bars for women.

Lunafest is a film festival that local nonprofits can use to raise funds for their organizations, Kluge said.

"It’s a neat deal because a Lunafest event raises also raises money and awareness for the national Breast Cancer Fund," she said. "In fact, 15 percent of the funds will benefit the national Breast Cancer Fund and the remaining 85 percent will benefit the nonprofit organization that partners with Lunafest."

Girls on the Run Utah is bringing Lunafest back to Utah on Friday, Nov. 8, at the Salt Lake City Library.

The evening will feature nine short films by female filmmakers.

  • "Granny’s Got Game" by Angela Alford
  • "Flying Annie" by Catherine van Campen
  • "Sidewalk" by Celia Bullwinkel
  • "First Match" by Olivia Newman
  • "Sound Shadows" by Julie Engaas
  • "Maria of Many" by Alexandra Liveris
  • "Running Dry" by Dimitra Nikolopoulou
  • "Date with Fate" by Ventia Taylor
  • "Tiny Miny Magic" by Danielle Lurie

    "The films address a variety of topics and subjects including a basketball team comprised of elderly women who are older than 70 and economic hardships," Kluge said. "There are love stories, films about immigrants and things like that."

    In addition to the films, the night will feature a silent auction, light hors d’oeuvres by Red Rock Brewery and live music performed by Emily Bea.

    "Some of the auction items include a package from Lunatic Fringe salon and a Park City Golf Course package," Kluge said.

    To date, more than $1,250,000 has been raised for local causes, and $656,000 has been raised for the Breast Cancer Fund, Kluge said.

    "The event is designed to celebrate women and bring women in the community together, and men are also invited to attend," she said.

    Girls on the Run Utah will present Lunafest, on Friday, Nov. 8, at the Salt Lake City Public Library, 6:30 p.m. until 10 p.m. Advance tickets are $35 for adults, $25 for young adults ages 14 to 18. Tickets will be also available at the door for $40. For more information, visit .

  • Support Local Journalism

    Support Local Journalism

    Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

    Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

    Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


    Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
    If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

    User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User