Rotary brings Christmas to 530 kids
December 16, 2014
On Wednesday, Dec. 10, The Park City Sunrise Rotary Club hosted its seventh annual Holiday Party for the children of the greater Park City area, at Park City High School. This annual event originated in 2008 as a party specifically for the kids in the Parkside Apartments on Kearns Boulevard and had grown year by year to include the entire Park City School District. Founder and Park City Sunrise Rotary member, Ericka Wells (Vice President of Programs, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah), conceived the event as a way to bring a little Holiday cheer to the lower income families and children in Park City.
"Many of these kids won’t open their gift, choosing to save it under the tree, because they say this may be the only gift they get for Christmas," says Wells. These families represent the ever-growing population of lower-income, work force residents that struggle with time and resources, to provide for their children, especially during the busy holiday season.
This year’s party was attended by about 530 children with their parents, representing over 220 families throughout Park City. With the donations from Park City Sunrise Rotary and the Park City Rotary Club members, along with other friends and organizations, the Sunrise Club was able to provide a wrapped gift for every child attending. The gifts were handed out to each child by bi-lingual Santa. Food was provided for all the children and their families with the generosity and hard work of Done to Your Taste Catering.
Nearly half of the Sunrise Rotary Club members, along with their families and friends volunteered at the event, along with about 90 high school student volunteers from South Summit Interact, Park City High School Latinos in Action and Morgan Interact Club. Holy Cross Ministries, Kimball Arts Center’s Young Artists Academy and Mountainlands Community Housing all brought crafts and games for the party. Many other organizations played a role in the success of the event, including financial support from Wrona | Gordon | DuBois Law Firm and Laser Law Office.
The Park City Sunrise Rotary would like to express its gratitude for all those who helped make this another wonderfully successful event through contributions of gifts, money and countless volunteer hours. Cheers to all, wishing all a happy holiday season.
Trending In: Entertainment
- The ‘Queen of Versailles’ has a new calling
- Sundance Film Festival volunteer will rack up her 14th year
- National Geographic’s Steve Winter is a big cat when it comes to tigers, jaguars and cougars
- Local singer-songwriter Bill McGinnis enjoys international Access with Park City showcase
- Christopher Hawley looks forward to his annual gig at the Access Film Music Festival
- Plan for Kimball Junction re-design will be before Basin planning panel
- Marketplace: After years in the industry, restaurateur opens Hearth and Hill
- Park City wildlife carnage: After an elk collision, a roadside dismemberment
- Court report: Park City man pleads guilty to attempted obstruction of justice
- Park City wildlife collisions involve deer, mountain lion