Summit County Library will host annual Scholastic book sale
November 18, 2014
Scholastic Books, publisher of "Captain Underpants," "Clifford the Big Red Dog" and J.K. Rowling’s "Harry Potter" series, will empty out its warehouses of new books and bring some of them to the Summit County Library Kimball Junction Branch this weekend.
The book sale not only will help Scholastic make some elbow room for new publications, but it will also help the Summit County Library system raise money for its various programs that promote literacy, said Tina Blake, president of Friends of the Summit County Library.
Friends of Summit County Library is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to improving the libraries’ services and resources.
The 12th annual book sale, which will run from Thursday, Nov. 20, to Saturday, Nov. 23, is a way to do that. The Kimball Junction branch raises money for itself and the Kamas and Coalville branches by hosting and providing volunteers for the event, according to Blake.
"[Scholastic] actually approached us to host a remote warehouse sale for which we have been thankful," Blake said.
The main difference between this sale and the library’s used book sale fundraiser over Memorial Day weekend is that the books this weekend are brand new.
Recommended Stories For You
"These are books that Scholastic is "clearing" out of their warehouse in preparation for their spring inventory," Blake said. "The [spring] sale is a used book sale from donations and library discards."
Another difference is that the books for this weekend’s sale appeal to all ages.
"If you have school age kids, you may be familiar with these books," Blake said.
In addition to books, there will be other book-related items for sale.
"Scholastic’s emphasis is primarily books but there will be pencils, posters, some software and activity and craft kits available," Blake said.
Although the sale is open to the public, with an emphasis on educators and other educational volunteers, people can register in advance online by visiting http://www.scholastic.com/bookfairs/events/warehouse .
While registration is not required, it has benefits, Blake said.
"You can print out a coupon which is good for $10 off a $50 purchase or $25 off a $100 purchase," Blake said. "This is on top of the sale price."
The sale price for the books without the discounts is at least 50-percent off and can be up to 80 percent, according to Blake.
The Summit County Library Kimball Junction Branch, 6505 Landmark Dr. Suite 100, will host the Scholastic Book Fair’s annual Holiday Warehouse Book sale from Thursday, Nov. 20, to Sunday, Nov. 23. Thursday’s hours are from 1 p.m. until 8 p.m. Friday’s hours will be 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. The book sale will be open Saturday from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. and on Sunday from noon until 5 p.m. For more information, visit http://www.scholastic.com/bookfairs/events/warehouse or call 435-615-3900 or 800-310-5464.
Trending In: Entertainment
- The ‘Queen of Versailles’ has a new calling
- Sundance Film Festival volunteer will rack up her 14th year
- National Geographic’s Steve Winter is a big cat when it comes to tigers, jaguars and cougars
- Local singer-songwriter Bill McGinnis enjoys international Access with Park City showcase
- Access Film Music Festival celebrates 16 years of helping independent musicians get to the next level
- Plan for Kimball Junction re-design will be before Basin planning panel
- Park City wildlife carnage: After an elk collision, a roadside dismemberment
- Marketplace: After years in the industry, restaurateur opens Hearth and Hill
- Court report: Park City man pleads guilty to attempted obstruction of justice
- Park City wildlife collisions involve deer, mountain lion