Swaner EcoCenter’s holiday market launches with sweater party
November 27, 2015
The Swaner EcoCenter is already deep into the holiday season. It’s annual art market will open on Dec. 4 and run Wednesdays through Sundays until Dec. 13.
To kick things off, the nonprofit will host a sweater party on Friday, Dec. 4, from 6:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m., according to Gail Piccoli, the Swaner’s gift shop buyer and volunteer coordinator.
"We don’t want to call it an ugly sweater party, because we’re trying to be politically correct," Piccoli said with a laugh. "There are some people who like their sweaters."
The event, now in its sixth year, will feature locally-made goods from 17 local vendors from Summit County and Salt Lake City, as well as light refreshments and craft tables for children.
The participating vendors are as follows:
"We did a call for entries that was taken from a master list that we have compiled over the years," Piccoli explained. "I also emailed other vendors I saw at other art shows. I collected their cards and add them to the list."
Recommended Stories For You
Other artists who submitted applications, heard about the market by word of mouth.
"Many members of the Park City Professional Artists Association are involved and told other artists about the event," Piccoli said. "The requirement is that all of the products they sell have to be made by them. So, there are a lot of different things, including some upcycled items and art-fair items."
Most of the vendors will be at the sweater party.
"When people attend the reception, they will get to meet the artists," she said. "Also, the authors who will participate in the opening reception will sign their books."
The artists may or may not reappear at the market after the reception, but their items will still be available for purchase.
"This certainly is in league with our mission of conservation," Piccoli said. "These artists are all local and they create a small footprint with their works.
"I, personally, love supporting local and regional artists," she said. "I have a lot of respect for what they do. I enjoy their work and a majority of my Christmas list are items from art shows that I attend throughout the year."
The Swaner EcoCenter, 1258 Center Dr. at Kimball Junction, will present its art market from Dec. 4 through Dec. 6, and Dec. 9 to 13. The Sweater Party Kickoff will be Dec. 4 from 6:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, visit http://www.swanerecocenter.org .
Trending In: Entertainment
- Father and son of ‘Beautiful Boy’ to tell their story in Park City
- What do to in Park City this weekend: holiday concerts, art shows and Bob Woodward
- The ‘Queen of Versailles’ has a new calling
- Slamdance to honor Oscar winner Steven Soderbergh with 2019 Founders Award
- The public can see Art Elevated at the Swaner EcoCenter
- PCMR indefinitely closes two upper-elevation bowls after losing lease
- UPDATED: Park Record Building evacuated Thursday after bomb threat hoax
- USOC selects Salt Lake City to bid on Winter Olympics
- Park City awaits a Friday decision on fate of Olympic bid
- Park City police blotter: report received of ski collision from January