Wasatch Plein Air Paradise event scheduled
June 24, 2014
The Wasatch Back area including Summit and Wasatch Counties is a favorite destination for many fine plein-air artists, or artists who paint landscapes while outdoors. To draw more attention to the unique beauty of this area, Midway Art Association has planned its signature event, the ninth annual Wasatch Plein Air Paradise on July 1 through July 4.
This is the largest outdoor painting event in Utah with approximately 125 participants. Interested buyers, art collectors, curious neighbors and families are invited to see the fine art inspired by this mountain country. The prizes for this competition total over $12,000.
The artists participating will be easy to spot as they set up their easels along the back roads, pastures and the many other settings of the area from June 27 through July 1 before the 2 p.m. The exhibit and sale will open to the public that evening at 7 p.m. and the following days through Saturday July 5.
In 1995 he left Salt Lake City and returned to Duchesne County, the area of his youth. He has been called a "neo-regionalist" as he draws from his agrarian heritage. He captures scenes of bygone times, incorporating, farm horses, period ranching equipment, antique cars and many familiar artifacts from the ever-passing history of our western growth. He will be judging over 300 fresh, just completed paintings, in the Midway Town Hall the afternoon of Tuesday, July 1. The awards will be announced to the artists at 6 p.m., followed by the Opening Reception for the public to the Art Exhibit, sponsored by Heber Valley Bank.
The generous prizes this year consist of first, second and third place cash awards in the Professional and Paint Out divisions as well as first, second and third place Sponsor’s Purchase Awards.
The Professional Purchase Awards allow the sponsors to choose a painting out of the exhibit for the prepaid amounts of $2,000, $1,600, and $1,300. The Cash Awards are sponsored by MAA and Zion’s Bank.
Recommended Stories For You
The Heber City and Midway Paint Out purchase awards are $700, $600, and $500. The Amateur Division first-place cash award was donated by Mountain America Credit Union for $150.
The Studio Division of paintings that are finished before this event, are awarded gifts donated by local merchants.
On July 4 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., artists will have 90 minutes to complete an outdoor painting, by the Midway Town Hall, followed by a live auction.
For more information, please check out midwayartassociation.org .
Trending In: Entertainment
- What to do in Park City this weekend: musicals, affordable housing and the music crawl
- Park City High School drama department exclaims ‘Mamma Mia!’
- The ‘Queen of Versailles’ has a new calling
- Nonprofits offer free family-friendly film screenings in Park City for Thanksgiving
- Mind hive will be abuzz with Park City-based songwriters
- For the Record: What impact would another Winter Olympics have on Park City?
- Attorney for 17-year-old accused of procuring illegal drugs seeks motion to suppress evidence
- Park City Mountain ski resort still on schedule to open Nov. 21
- Park City Mountain’s ski patrol union negotiates with Vail Resorts for new contract
- Developer signals plan to submit new application for controversial Park City event space