Bulldog rivalry ends in a tie | ParkRecord.com

Bulldog rivalry ends in a tie

A Judge defender attacks Park City's Hanna Terry as she attempts to get the ball near the net.

As rivalries go, the one between Park City and Judge Memorial may win the award as the most bitter.

Not only do both teams have a spirited disdain for one another, but their league-leading talent makes almost every matchup between them a good one. This year’s meeting in Salt Lake was no different as the two teams had to settle for a 1-1 tie in double overtime.

"It’s my first time down here and it’s a tough place to play," Miners head coach Matt Evans said.

The Miners took the field using the pass-heavy, possession-controlling offense that earned them a 3A state title last year and has kept them high in the rankings thus far this season. To counterattack the Miners, the Bulldogs chose to employ a defense-based counterattack that placed as many as 10 players behind the ball.

"Give credit to Judge that it worked out," Evans said. "It does get results."

The field also helped the Bulldogs game plan. While the Bulldogs wait for their home field to be renovated, the team has been playing at Granite High School — an old, uneven grass field that is very different from the flat, maintained turf surface at Quinn’s Junction. Stuck shooting the ball repeatedly from 30 yards out due to the heavy Judge defense near the net, the Miners had trouble finding the goal through the tall grass.

"The field was definitely an issue today," Evans said. "The field played to their advantage."

The Miners actually maintained possession of the ball about 85 percent of the game, but the Miners long shots were not falling near the net.

"I think it was a little confusing for our players. They’d beat one or even two players, but there was a third and sometimes a fourth back there that they weren’t used to," Evans said.

Luckily, in the 18th minute Elli Reed was able to connect on a penalty shot, which gave the Miners a 1-0 edge for much of regulation.

Defensively, the Miners had a strategy of their own led by sweeper Lindsi Lisonbee, who effectively kept any Judge balls from connecting with the net.

Judge’s defensive strategy also hampered them from getting too many scoring opportunities, but Marquel Reddish finally scored in the 58th minute on a free kick to the top of the net to tie up the score, 1-1.

overtime, emotions were running high both on and off the field.

What appeared to be a Judge goal, but was waved off by officials, caused some yelling from the stands and eventually got Judge head coach Wayne Voorhees kicked out of the game. But the battle on the field stayed evenly locked with both teams finally accepting a tie at the end of double overtime.

"It was a good test for us," Evans said. "We’ve got to keep working hard."

The Miners got back in the win column on Thursday with a decisive 8-0 win over Union.

The Miners will be in action again on Tuesday, Sept. 19 when they host Wasatch at 3:30 p.m. at Quinn’s Junction Sports Complex.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User