Business briefs, July 1-4: Wallethub ranks Utah economy as No. 3 in U.S.
June 30, 2017
Chamber/Bureau to hold annual meeting
The Park City Chamber/Bureau is set to hold its annual meeting on July 12. According to the organization's website, visitparkcity.com, officials at the meeting will unveil the tourism marketing plan for the next 12 months and will also present the 2017 Myles Rademan Spirit of Hospitality Award. The event is scheduled to take place from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Park City Marriott. The cost ranges from $27 for single tickets to $250 for a table of 10. The registration deadline is July 11.
Utah ranked as No. 3 economy in U.S.
Wallethub has ranked Utah as the third best state economy in the country. Wallethub, a personal finance website, analyzed the 50 states to determine which ones are "pulling the most weight" for overall U.S. economic growth. It found that Utah, despite its relatively small population, had the third highest gross domestic product growth, third most startup activity and largest change in nonfarm payrolls. The state also ranked first in the "Economic Health" category. Washington and California were the only states that bested Utah's performance. The full ranking and methodology is available at wallethub.com.
IRS warns about summertime scams
The Internal Revenue Service is warning Utahns about several tax-related scams that are pervasive this time of year, even though tax season is over. According to a press release, common tip-offs of a scam include the caller demanding immediate payment through a specific method, the threat of police involvement for failure to pay, and asking for credit and debit card information over the phone. "Taxpayers can avoid these and other tricky financial scams by taking a few minutes to review the tell-tale signs of these schemes," said IRS commissioner John Koskinen in the release. More tips to avoid scams are available at irs.gov.
Trending In: Business
- Park City businesses celebrate strong season and economy during luncheon
- Report shows high prices, slowing home sales as Park City buyers opt for new construction
- Utah breweries opposed to bill to allow full-strength beer in grocery stores
- Marketplace: Rime Raw Bar serves mid-mountain seafood fare near Deer Valley slopes
- High West Distillery sold for $160 million
- Updated: Sheriff’s Office investigates apparent armed robbery at Wells Fargo Bank
- Park City-area avalanche buries skier in harrowing backcountry episode (w/video)
- PCMR skiers caught in out-of-bounds Scott’s Bowl
- Park City house roof collapses, leaving scene of destruction
- Summit County Sheriff’s Office leery of bill that would allow drivers to go through red lights