Business briefs, July 1-4: Wallethub ranks Utah economy as No. 3 in U.S.
June 30, 2017
Chamber/Bureau to hold annual meeting
The Park City Chamber/Bureau is set to hold its annual meeting on July 12. According to the organization's website, visitparkcity.com, officials at the meeting will unveil the tourism marketing plan for the next 12 months and will also present the 2017 Myles Rademan Spirit of Hospitality Award. The event is scheduled to take place from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Park City Marriott. The cost ranges from $27 for single tickets to $250 for a table of 10. The registration deadline is July 11.
Utah ranked as No. 3 economy in U.S.
Wallethub has ranked Utah as the third best state economy in the country. Wallethub, a personal finance website, analyzed the 50 states to determine which ones are "pulling the most weight" for overall U.S. economic growth. It found that Utah, despite its relatively small population, had the third highest gross domestic product growth, third most startup activity and largest change in nonfarm payrolls. The state also ranked first in the "Economic Health" category. Washington and California were the only states that bested Utah's performance. The full ranking and methodology is available at wallethub.com.
IRS warns about summertime scams
The Internal Revenue Service is warning Utahns about several tax-related scams that are pervasive this time of year, even though tax season is over. According to a press release, common tip-offs of a scam include the caller demanding immediate payment through a specific method, the threat of police involvement for failure to pay, and asking for credit and debit card information over the phone. "Taxpayers can avoid these and other tricky financial scams by taking a few minutes to review the tell-tale signs of these schemes," said IRS commissioner John Koskinen in the release. More tips to avoid scams are available at irs.gov.
Trending In: Business
- Park City’s Freshies Lobster Co. snares title of World’s Best Lobster Roll
- Seasonal workers without housing in Park City struggle to find anywhere to live
- Marketplace: Bambino app connects parents to babysitters
- New four-season resort to open on Blue Sky Ranch
- Marketplace: Former driver brings Ascent Luxury Transportation to Park City
- Park City awaits a Friday decision on fate of Olympic bid
- Winter Olympics: Park City, Salt Lake City seen as 2026 contingency
- Inside the snowmaking process at Deer Valley Resort (photos)
- Slamdance to honor Oscar winner Steven Soderbergh with 2019 Founders Award
- Park City waterworks station loses power, impacting snowmaking