Business briefs, July 23-26
July 22, 2016
Summer bookings are booming in the West
Visitors are flocking to resort towns this summer. According to a press release from DestiMetrics, a firm that tracks the performance of western resort towns, including Park City, occupancy was up 9.9 percent this summer as of June 30, and revenues had jumped 16.6 percent. "Although global turmoil and economic volatility remain long-term concerns for the travel industry, at this point we aren't seeing any cooling in the red hot summer booking trends," said Ralf Garrison, director of DestiMetrics. "Summer mountain vacations are much more affordable than their winter counterparts and since many visitors arrive from more regionally based drive markets, they are less vulnerable to the broader markets swings and shifts."
Gas prices go back down in Utah
After a couple months of rising gas prices, Utah motorists saw prices level off, then drop slightly, in June. According to a press release from AAA Utah, the average price for a gallon of gas in mid-July was $2.33, eight cents lower than a month prior and 64 cents lower than last year. The price drop was atypical because prices usually rise in Utah in the summer months. Rolayne Fairclough, a AAA spokeswoman, said in the release that summer prices can be volatile. "Summer is unpredictable when it comes to gas prices and disruptions can occur in supply because of refinery issues, hurricanes, geopolitical tensions or production cuts that can impact prices in this high demand season," she said.
New orthodontist comes to Park City
A new orthodontist has come to the Orthodontic Specialists of Park City. According to a press release, the clinic has hired Justin Heaps, a graduate of the UCLA School of Dentistry. Heaps most recently worked in Bountiful but recently decided to begin working in Park City. For more information, visit gotbracespc.com.
Trending In: Business
- Marketplace: Cox Tires provides auto repair to Park City area
- Deerfield Media, owner of Park City Television, to move corporate office to Park City
- Business briefs: Drafts Sports Bar rebrands to serve burgers and shakes
- Ikon Pass could increase skier days in Park City and beyond
- Entrepreneur suggests solution to Park City housing crisis with container homes
- Sheriff’s Report: Man leads deputies on foot pursuit in Kimball Junction
- More than 350 pounds of marijuana seized in Summit County
- Park City police arrest man, saying he took SUV, drove around lot
- Romney skipped Kamas event, but Abraham Lincoln lookalike didn’t
- Anonymous tip leads to arrest of fugitive in Oakley