Mary Jane’s celebrates 10th anniversary
March 2, 2013
Main Street has always had a bit of a chameleon soul. Shops, restaurants, galleries and other businesses often come and go with the changing seasons. But there is one boutique that has expertly weathered the ups and downs of resort living — Mary Jane’s. Known for its trendy and unique clothing, accessories and shoes, the store is celebrating its 10th year in business this month. A feat the owner credits to careful purchasing.
"Buying is a huge part of retail and smart buying is essential," says Lori Harris, owner of Mary Jane’s boutique. "Shoppers are fickle and fashions change, you have to be willing to adapt and change with trends and with the economy."
Harris, who almost opened a wine bar a decade ago instead of Mary Jane’s, also credits the store’s success with the variety of designers she carries.
"I think people are drawn to the variety of name brands we carry at prices they don’t typically find elsewhere. Our new customers are often surprised we have such reasonable prices, and that turns them into repeat customers. Our focus is strictly on women’s fashions right now. It’s our strength and really what we’re known for," Harris explained.
And while any woman with a footwear fetish knows what Mary Jane’s are, how the store got its name isn’t as obvious as you might think. In fact, Harris was considering several names before opening her boutique. But a visit to City Park with her pug, Clyde, secured the moniker for this Main Street staple.
"I couldn’t settle on a name and took my dog to the park to think it over. A darling little girl came running my way to pet my dog and her dad was calling after her ‘Mary Jane! Mary Jane! Come back here!’ That was all the confirmation I needed. I wanted my store to be as memorable and beloved as that cute little girl," Harris said.
Recommended Stories For You
In the decade since that fateful day in the park, Mary Jane’s has become a mainstay for shoppers in search of stylish footwear, clothes and accessories with a mountain-town flare. And Harris still prides herself on the originality and personality of her merchandise, especially the shoes.
"We are continuously focused on giving women the shoes they want. Shoes are where we started and they’re still my fetish," Harris added, her enthusiasm for fashion evident.
"Having a passion for fashion is my real secret to success. It’s what has kept me and Mary Jane’s thriving on Park City’s Main Street for so long."
To celebrate their 10th anniversary, Mary Jane’s is offering 10 percent off all purchases during the month of March.
Trending In: Business
- Christian Center of Park City expands in size and services
- Marketplace: Flowers By You lets florist share passion with Park City
- Future of Outdoor Retailer murky as lawmakers seek to rescind Bears Ears
- High West Distillery sold for $160 million
- Five Park City chefs selected to serve at the James Beard House
- Tom Clyde: The beef over the McPolin Farm cattle misses the point
- Park City begins to outline major Park Avenue roadwork
- Park City attorney, skier husband arrested as hunting equipment taken
- California man pleads guilty to human trafficking charge in Summit County
- For the Record: Do you agree with the Park City Board of Education’s decision?