Park City’s Freshies Lobster Co. opens second location in Salt Lake City
December 3, 2018
Nearly 10 years after serving its first lobster rolls, Freshies Lobster Co. expanded to Salt Lake City. Freshies, which has called Park City home since 2009, opened its second restaurant at 356 E. 900 S. in Salt Lake City about two months ago, said Lorin Smaha, co-founder and owner.
So far, she said, regulars from Park City and the Salt Lake Valley have been happy about the move.
Smaha decided to open a second location in Salt Lake City on a whim, she said. A real estate agent reached out to her about a building that was available, which did not end up working out, and Smaha started seriously considering expanding to the valley. While driving around one day, she found the perfect location and took the opportunity.
"I started going through the motions and then kept moving forward," she said.
That is the way Smaha has always done business. She and her husband Ben started serving lobster rolls at farmer's markets. Then, they graduated to a food truck and, two years ago, built a permanent location in on Prospector Avenue in Park City. Each step led to the next.
Business grew consistently over time until the summer of 2017, when Freshies won a World's Best Lobster Roll contest in Maine. Smaha said sales blew up after that.
Recommended Stories For You
The growing demand is part of the reason why Freshies expanded, and Smaha said they continue to keep growing. With their food truck, the Smahas are testing out their product in markets in neighboring states.
Amid all of the growth, Smaha said she did pause to think about how far they have come right before opening the Salt Lake location. She was excited, and a little scared when she realized she was about to double her workload. But, just like with every step in the business's story, she kept on going, and so far, she is glad she did.
Trending In: Business
- Park City’s Freshies Lobster Co. snares title of World’s Best Lobster Roll
- Seasonal workers without housing in Park City struggle to find anywhere to live
- Marketplace: Bambino app connects parents to babysitters
- Marketplace: Former driver brings Ascent Luxury Transportation to Park City
- New four-season resort to open on Blue Sky Ranch
- Park City awaits a Friday decision on fate of Olympic bid
- UPDATED: Park Record Building evacuated Thursday after bomb threat hoax
- Winter Olympics: Park City, Salt Lake City seen as 2026 contingency
- Inside the snowmaking process at Deer Valley Resort (photos)
- Slamdance to honor Oscar winner Steven Soderbergh with 2019 Founders Award