May 26, 2007
Art-fest deal OK’d
After little debate, the Park City Council recently reached an agreement with the Kimball Art Center that keeps the nonprofit’s annual arts festival on Main Street.
The two sides had been negotiating for some time and were expected to sign a long-term deal. The agreement’s initial term runs from 2007 until 2011, with a five-year option running until 2016.
There was little interest from regular Parkites as the City Council approved the deal 4-0, with Roger Harlan not in attendance.
The festival had been held under one-year agreements in 2005 and 2006.
The arts festival remains the signature event on Park City’s expanding summertime calendar and it draws some of the biggest crowds of the year to the city, 42,000 in 2006, according to the Kimball, which hosts the festival as its largest fundraiser.
Recommended Stories For You
In a report to the City Council before the vote, Alison Butz, who handled the negotiations for City Hall, says the festival is an "iconic event" and City Hall, the Park City Chamber/Bureau and other groups use photos from the event in marketing material.
"It’s the vision people have of Park City in the summer and we want to maintain that," Butz has said.
The festival is scheduled Aug. 4-5, with two days of festivities scheduled before the weekend.
During the festival, Main Street is closed to vehicles and artist booths are put up on the street.
The Kimball had briefly considered other sites for the festival but those discussions did not advance.
"The Kimball is in downtown Park City. We are part of downtown Park City and the arts festival should stay in downtown Park City," Pam Crowe-Weisberg, the executive director of the Kimball, told The Park Record as the deal was being finalized.
A historic house’s future
Park City officials will allow a historic house on upper Park Avenue to be disassembled and then put back together.
The city’s Historic Preservation Board, which holds some oversight in Old Town, recently unanimously approved a plan for a house at 450 Park Ave. The house sits west of and behind the No Name Saloon, a Main Street nightclub. The No Name’s planned underground expansion stretches underneath the house.
Ray Milliner, a City Hall planner, says the house will be taken apart, stored elsewhere — possibly next door — and reassembled on top of a new foundation. Milliner says nearby power lines make it too difficult to move the house with a crane, which was considered instead of disassembling the house.
Milliner says the house dates to 1925.
He expects it will be put back together in the late fall, at the earliest.
Jesse Shetler, who owns the No Name, says the work at the house will start as early as next week. The firm that owns the No Name building also owns the house.
Shetler says nobody lives in the house and it has been a rental property in the past. He says the owners are unsure if the house will be used as a rental once it is rebuilt.
The No Name plans a major renovation and Shetler says the work will make the nightclub more competitive.
The disassembly is similar to many others in Old Town, which Park City officials try to protect by making it difficult for property owners to tear down a historic house, among other measures.
Compiled by Jay Hamburger