County Sheriff’s Report |

County Sheriff’s Report

A Snyderville Basin man could face felony charges after he allegedly threatened to expose a topless photograph of his neighbor unless she agreed to perform sex acts for him, detectives say.

"There are serious charges that are out there," Summit County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Sherm Farnsworth said. "She is new to the neighborhood and just knew of him because of his name."

The Sheriff’s Office is investigating the woman’s claims that "if she agreed to come over to his house and perform some sex acts with him, he would give her the photographs," Farnsworth said, who added that, releasing the suspect’s name Thursday could have damaged the investigation.

"She felt very violated and very embarrassed by the fact that someone would call and say they had photographs of her," Farnsworth said. "I haven’t seen one like this in a long, long, long, long time."

Meanwhile, detectives also are investigating a 911 call from a man that disconnected Dec. 23 before dispatchers could identify the caller’s location.

"The caller said he had a problem and had just gotten into a fight," Farnsworth said. "The phone was dropped and they could hear people yelling in the background It appeared something pretty serious was going on."

The Sheriff’s Office, however, can’t pinpoint the location of people who call 911 with cell phones, he said.

"We contacted multiple cell phone companies like Cingular and they were not able to trace the location," Farnsworth said. "We never did hear back from anybody."

A 25-year-old construction worker from Salt Lake suffered a broken leg and was rushed to a hospital in Salt Lake City following an industrial accident that occurred near the Newpark Town Center Dec. 22 at 1:53 p.m.

The crew was using a crane to move a steel beam when the man was hurt after the object dropped on his right leg, Farnsworth said, adding, "we made sure that there were no criminal laws that were broken."

On Dec. 21, a woman called dispatchers to claim her boss had assaulted her during a dinner date at his Summit County home Dec. 19.

"They were at his house and in the midst of the evening when he made some inappropriate physical contact with her," Farnsworth said, adding that the man allegedly forced the woman against a wall against her will and tried to kiss her. "She ended up having to call her friend on her cell phone to rescue her."

Because of a request from the alleged victim, formal charges won’t likely be filed against the man, Farnsworth said.

Two men were arrested on misdemeanor intoxication and disorderly conduct charges after an alleged brawl at the Elk Meadows apartments in the Snyderville Basin Dec. 21 at 12:17 a.m.

It appears a Salt Lake City police officer did not violate the law when he confronted a Wasatch County woman after she allegedly violated a traffic law in Summit County, Farnsworth said.

The man allegedly followed the woman on Dec. 20 at 8:24 a.m. in his Chevrolet Avalanche from S.R. 248 to Lambert Lane in Kamas "flashing his lights to pull her over."

"The man followed her to her job then got out of his vehicle to tell her he was a SLCPD officer then threatened her," an incident report states.

Typically, several people threaten to commit suicide around the holidays similar to a case that involved a woman in North Summit Dec. 20 at 1 p.m.

The depressed 39-year-old reportedly contacted her husband to inform him she had ingested too many pills, an incident report states.

She survived after she was taken in critical condition to a Salt Lake City hospital.

"The holidays bring that out in people," Farnsworth said. "People’s problems seem to be more magnified during the holidays."

A soccer game ended with violence when men began fighting at the Basin Recreation Field House Dec. 20 around 7:40 p.m.

"It was dealing with lots of individuals who were inside playing soccer," Farnsworth said. "Two players from opposing teams got into a fight."

When the game’s facilitator attempted to break up the brawl he was assaulted, the captain added.

Two men were reportedly arrested and booked into the Summit County Jail on charges of simple assault and disorderly conduct.

A pickup truck stolen near Echo reservoir was discovered by a Utah Highway Patrol trooper parked near Parleys Summit Dec. 20 at roughly 2:30 p.m.

On Dec. 17, a group of seven Salt Lake County residents had difficulty making it out of the Uinta Mountains when the snowmobiles they were riding began to run low on fuel, Farnsworth said.

"Family had last heard from them around 4:30 in the afternoon," he said, adding that a 21-year-old man contacted a family member on a cellular telephone.

Volunteers from the Sheriff’s Office search-and-rescue team were dispatched into the forest around 6:50 p.m. after family members contacted deputies.

"They were worried because they hadn’t heard from them in a while," Farnsworth said, advising those who enter the backcountry to carry cell phones.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


See more