County Watch |

County Watch

Compiled by Patrick Parkinson

Applications are due this month from organizations in Summit County wishing to be considered for a 2008 grant from the Recreation Arts and Parks Tax, said Tim Douglas, chairman of the RAP Tax Recreation Advisory Committee.

Grant applications are available until Feb. 29, according to Douglas. The application can be accessed online at or by contacting Susan Ovard at 336-3025, 783-4351 ext. 3025 or 615-3025 in Park City and the Snyderville Basin.

The deadline for submitting applications is Feb. 29 at 5 p.m. Applications should be submitted at the County Courthouse at 60 N. Main in Coalville, Summit County Library at 6505 N. Landmark Drive or the Summit County Library at 110 N. Main in Kamas.

The application provides an outline of the specific criteria, eligibility requirements and the process which the advisory committee uses.

Other committee members include Kurt Daenitz, Kathy Sorenson, Kathy Apostlakos, Julie Simonds, Marla Garfield and Meg Steele.

Hatch: Make tax cuts permanent

Recommended Stories For You

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, expressed support for President George W. Bush’s budget for 2009.

Hatch said he supports the president’s goal to rein in spending and make the 2001 and 2003 Bush tax cuts permanent.

"The call to make these tax cuts permanent has been a top item in the president’s budget for years," Hatch said in a press release. "The Bush pro-growth tax cuts have helped fuel the last six years of growth, and helped the county absorb the shock of terrorist attacks, corporate scandals, wars and devastating natural disasters."

Without action from Congress the tax cuts would expire the last day of 2010.

"If we do not make these tax cuts permanent, the nation will suffer the largest tax increase in history, almost $2.2 trillion over 10 years," Hatch claimed in the release. "We know when it will hit and we know how serious it is."

Meantime, Hatch is concerned about flat funding the president suggested in his budget for the federal Payment in Lieu of Taxes program. The fund compensates states like Utah with large chunks of federal land that yield no property taxes for schools.

Help songbirds and river otters

If you care about songbirds, river otters and other wildlife that people don’t hunt or fish for, tax time is one of the best times to help out, according to state Division of Wildlife Resources officials.

"Most Utahns don’t realize it, but hunters and anglers provide almost all of the funding to manage the state’s wildlife," DWR spokesman Greg Sheehan said in a press release. "Because sportsmen are paying the cost to manage Utah’s wildlife, we use most of the money we receive from them to manage wildlife that people hunt or fish for."

Money from the non-game wildlife fund is used differently, he explained.

"For people who care about non-game wildlife, donating to the fund is a convenient and east way to help," according to Sheehan.

Taxpayers in Utah gave more than $37,000 to the Utah Nongame Wildlife Fund in 2007. The state’s avian program uses the money to survey raptor and songbird populations in Utah. Money from the fund has also been used to learn more about the amount of habitat that is available in Utah form Mexican spotted owls.

Work funded by the non-game program has introduced river otters in Southern Utah. A black-footed ferret population is establishing itself in the northeastern part of the state and important information about pygmy rabbits and prairie dogs is being collected, officials say.

You can help by giving a few dollars to the Utah Nongame Wildlife Fund. Go to line 19 of the 2007 Utah State Income Tax form. Enter code 01 and the amount you want to donate.

If you’ve already filed your taxes, the DWR accepts donations for non-game wildlife throughout the year at: Division of Wildlife Resources, P.O. Box 146301, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84114-6301.