Education briefs, June 28-30: Summit County Library highlights summer reading program
June 27, 2017
Library encourages children to read over summer
The Summit County Library is encouraging children to read over the summer vacation with a reading challenge. According to the library's website, youseemore.com/summitcounty, children earn stickers for meeting reading goals that they choose. When they get 10 stickers, they can receive a small prize from the library. Students who earn 50 stickers receive a large prize for completing the challenge. Children can go to one of the library's branches to get a reading record and stickers kit, or they can print off a reading record from the library's website.
New principal at South Summit Elementary
Lisa Flinders has been hired as the new principal of South Summit Elementary School. According to a press release, Flinders most recently served as an administrator at South Summit Middle School. She replaced Louise Willoughby, who is joining the district's new Silver Summit Academy blended-learning school. Superintendent Shad Sorenson said in the release that Flinders is a perfect fit for the school. "Our district is fortunate to have the caliber of leadership that Lisa has and will continue to provide," he said. "She is an amazing faculty member, mentor (and) leader and has truly earned the admiration and respect of her students, colleagues and community members."
Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks volunteers
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah, a nonprofit that provides adult mentoring for youths, is seeking male volunteers. According to a press release, the organization is aiming to get 60 men to sign up to serve as "Big Brothers" for children. The organization has, on average, 250 boys waiting for an adult mentor. The goal of the push is to make it so no boys have to wait more than a year to be assigned a mentor. Men who are interested in volunteering can find more information at bbbsu.org.
Trending In: Education
- The Oakley School announces closing
- Statewide SAGE exam to be replaced by two new tests
- Parents fight to keep Park City School District superintendent
- Winter Sports School sends another class of graduates into the world
- McPolin Elementary School only school in district to open to out-of-district enrollment
- Seasonal workers without housing in Park City struggle to find anywhere to live
- Inside the snowmaking process at Deer Valley Resort (photos)
- Summit County wants a larger role in overseeing Park City’s transit system
- Park City official worries runaway trucks will eventually kill people
- UPDATED: Park City-area man dies after collapsing at PCMR