Education briefs, Nov. 25-27
November 24, 2015
Schools to hold Park Record Bee qualifiers
Schools in Summit County are gearing up for the annual Park Record Spelling Bee by holding written qualifiers on Dec. 1. Separate qualifiers will be held for students in second and third grades and students from fourth to eighth grades. The qualifiers for Ecker Hill Middle School and Treasure Mountain Junior High will be held at Ecker Hill at 3:45 p.m. Jeremy Ranch Elementary, Parley’s Park Elementary, Trailside Elementary, McPolin Elementary and the Weilenmann School of Discovery will hold their qualifiers at 3:15 at each respective school. Park City Day School will hold its second- and third-grade qualifier at 8:30 a.m., with its fourth-through-eighth event at 2:30 p.m. Students who qualify will go on to compete in the main Park Record Spelling Bee next spring. For more information, contact Sandra Van Leuven at email@example.com .
PCHS to host computer workshop for girls
Kelly Henderson, an engineering and computer science teacher at Park City High School, is helping put on a workshop aimed at increasing participation in those subjects among girls. According to a press release, the workshop will teach girls how to use Scratch, a programming language that allows people to create interactive stories, games and animations. The workshop is for girls from eighth through 11th grade and will be held Dec. 5 from 9 a.m. to noon at Park City High. For more information, contact Henderson at firstname.lastname@example.org .
PCSD set to open kindergarten registration
Registration for all-day kindergarten for the 2016-2017 school year in the Park City School District is nearing. According to the district’s website, pcschools.us, registration at each elementary school will begin Jan. 4. Parents need to bring proof of residency, as well as their child’s birth certificate and immunization record. For more information, contact the district at 435-645-5600.
Trending In: Education
- Education briefs: Parley’s Park Elementary School accepting donations for makerspace
- Education briefs: Trailside Elementary School is having auditions
- Park City School District emphasizes mental health, security after Florida school shooting
- Eduation briefs: Communities that Care to host event for parents
- Elementary students to receive arts education
- UDOT doesn’t have any plans to change speed limit on S.R. 224
- Park City Mountain ski resort still on schedule to open Nov. 21
- Petra Butler to resign from Park City Board of Education
- Letters: Park City purchase of electric vehicles is misguided and misleading
- Tom Clyde: Accepting that the West is no longer wild