Education briefs: Park City school board chooses new member
June 13, 2017
School board selects new member
The Park City Board of Education chose Anne Peters on Tuesday morning to replace outgoing board member Phil Kaplan, who announced his intention to resign this spring for personal reasons. According to the Park City School District's website, pcschools.us, the vote was 3-1, with Julie Eihausen, board president, voting against Peters. Peters beat out other candidates Tommy Tanzer and James Meyer, who also interviewed for the position. Peters will serve District 1, representing the Prospector, Upper and Lower Deer Valley, Old Town or Thaynes neighborhoods.
University of Utah launches new center
The University of Utah has launched the Center on Mindfulness and Integrative Health Intervention Development, which will aim to unify research on mindfulness to transform its role in health care. According to a press release from the school, the center will oversee more than $17 million in federal grant money. "The center will advance a vision of a new model of health care, in which behavioral health experts work in tandem with medical providers to address the physical, psychological and social needs of people suffering from an array of health conditions," said Eric Gardland, who is the associate dean for research at the university's College of Social Work and who will lead the center.
Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks volunteers
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah, a nonprofit that provides adult mentoring for youths, is seeking male volunteers. According to a press release, the organization is aiming to get 60 men to sign up to serve as "Big Brothers" for children. The organization has, on average, 250 boys waiting for an adult mentor. The goal of the push is to make it so no boys have to wait more than a year to be assigned a mentor. Men who are interested in volunteering can find more information at bbbsu.org.
Trending In: Education
- Park City School District to increase taxes to fund more positions
- Education briefs: Applications open for TEDxYouth Park City
- McPolin dives fully into dual-immersion
- Bright Futures director recognized for work in Park City Latino community
- Year after overdoses of 13-year-old boys, Park City leaders see changed community
- Wasatch County approves major development tied to Deer Valley
- Summit County inundated with complaints about Kilby Road construction (w/video)
- Park City police say medical marijuana found on trail
- Guest editorial: Frustration about rising taxes in Park City is building
- Park City drivers pulled over at speeds well above posted limits