Education briefs: School bells will ring in Summit County
August 15, 2017
School bells will ring in Summit County
Schools in Summit County are readying for another year. The South Summit School District is scheduled to be the first back in session, with classes at the middle and high schools beginning Wednesday, Aug. 23. South Summit Elementary School will begin two days later, on Friday. The Park City and North Summit school districts are both scheduled to start classes Thursday, Aug. 24. However, kindergarten won't begin in Park City until the following Monday, Aug. 28. More information, including school contact information, can be found at the districts' respective websites: Park City, pcschools.us; South Summit, ssummit.org; North Summit, nsummit.org.
Dyslexia awareness nonprofit seeks help
Park City READS, a nonprofit that aims to raise awareness about reading disabilities like dyslexia within the Park City community, is accepting applications for its advocate program through September 10th. Selected participants will complete training through The Dyslexia Training Institute and provide professional advocate services to local families. Those interested can email firstname.lastname@example.org. This program is supported by a grant from the Park City Community Foundation. For more information about the nonprofit, visit parkcityreads.org.
Park City Museum to hold Civil War lecture
The Park City Museum is scheduled to hold a lecture about General William Tecumseh Sherman's march through the South. According to a newsletter, Steve Reggentin, a part-time Park City resident and a member of the Arizona Civil War Club, will present a lecture called "Lincoln and Sherman's March to the Sea." The presentation will discuss Lincoln's approval of the march and the destruction is caused. is scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 23, from 5 to 6 p.m. in the museum's conference room. More information about the lecture is available at the museum's website, parkcityhistory.org.
Trending In: Education
- Nonprofit leader intends to pick up mountains of trash near Everest
- Proposed bill in Utah Legislature would eliminate school grades
- Education briefs: Open houses for master planning scheduled for Feb. 27 and 28
- Ecker Hill Middle School Spanish club to host student film festival
- Park City School District declares a snow day
- Moose falls through basement window well, into Pinebrook home (w/video)
- Anonymous tip leads officers to large teen party in Glenwild
- Park City storms: Falling snow leads to rising neighborhood tensions
- Analysis: FIS Worlds in Park City: like, but also definitely unlike, a Winter Olympics
- Park City winter driving: ‘mini avalanche’ hits road, a ‘mess’ elsewhere