Holiday break activities for home-bound students
December 24, 2013
School has ended, and children all over Summit County are home for the holidays. For restless children who still need something to do, there are plenty of programs, clinics and activities at recreational and educational centers around town.
The Basin Recreation Center also offers four holiday break camps for boys and girls ages 6 to 14. Holiday Break Camp is a coed program for children from 6 to 12 years of age. It is offered either Dec. 26 and 27 or Jan. 2 or 3 from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Children in the program will go swimming, play tennis and go sledding, depending on the weather, among other recreational activities.
There are also two specialized clinics available on Dec. 26 and 27 from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. for boys and girls aged 6 to 12. Former Park City High School and collegiate soccer and lacrosse players will teach children the fundamentals of each sport at the field house.
For children who enjoy arts and crafts, the Summit County Library’s Kimball Junction branch will hold Chilly Winter Craft Time on Friday, Dec. 27 from 11 a.m. until 12 p.m. for elementary school-aged children. They will also celebrate the New Year with children ages 5 to 12 on Tuesday, Dec. 31 at 11:30 a.m.
Deer Valley Resort, Canyons Resort and Park City Mountain Resort each offer several different programs for children and teens through their ski schools. The classes include recreational activities such as arts and crafts and educational experiments indoors to on-mountain activities, including skiing and snowboarding. They also offer state-licensed daycare programs for children as young as two months of age.
Children who are on Christmas break from Dec. 20 until Jan. 2 or Jan. 4 do not have to spend every single day of their two-week vacation at home, and parents who are working have plenty of options as to where to take their children until the work day is over. More information on every location and program is available online or through contact over the phone with each establishment.
Recommended Stories For You
Info Box information: Basin Recreation Center and Fieldhouse: http://www.basinrecreation.org, 435-649-1564 or 435-655-0999 Summit County Library: 435-615-3900 Park City Mountain Resort: http://www.parkcitymountain.com or 435-649-8111 Canyons Resort: http://www.canyonsresort.com or 435-615-8042 Deer Valley Resort: http://www.deervalley.com or 435-649-1000
Trending In: Education
- South Summit Elementary School sees decrease in bullying with new initiatives
- Park City School District Superintendent Ember Conley announces resignation
- New state report cards show Park City School District’s moderate standing
- The Oakley School announces closing
- South Summit School District leases property while it awaits funding for new school
- Sundance 2019: no Women’s March on Main, no Respect Rally in Park City
- Guest editorial: None of us will reverse climate change, so stop talking about it
- Park City municipal attorney resigns in months after hunting goods case
- Mountain Town News: Why aren’t more people hunting powder?
- ‘Queen of Versailles’ introduces her new documentary ‘Princess of Versailles’