PCHS debate team triumphant at regionals
March 4, 2014
As the end of their season nears, Park City High School’s debaters are hopeful and looking to a bright future. On Tuesday, February 25th the PCHS debate team attended region debate at Morgan High School, exceeding their own expectations as they qualified 14 students for state, including nine novice debaters.
Despite their past as a small, struggling club, the debate team has expanded this year under the guidance of hardworking coaches Allison Moore, Mathew Nagel, and Sharon Ellsworth-Nielson, and their push for a more prominent debate class. Ellsworth-Nielson attributes the accomplishments the team has made to parents willing to give up their weekends to hear dozens of speeches miles from home, and to the school administration for supporting and promoting the debate team and class.
Says Ellsworth-Nielson, "We have doubled in size, in debaters attending tournaments, and in debaters headed to state. It has been a great year of growth for Park City. If we continue to develop a debate program that is fun to be part of, that students can be committed to and can hone their speaking skills in, then trophies and placing at top tournaments is inevitable."
The expansion of the debate team is a source of special pride to the team’s varsity debaters who have spent the year mentoring new members. Remarked PCHS debate team captain Katie Kelley, "I’m really happy with how (regions) went. We’ve gained a lot of new members this year and I think we’re headed in a great direction."
As Ellsworth-Nielson put it, "There is a tide in the debate program at PCHS, and the tide is rising."
Recommended Stories For You
Isaac Jedlicka, senior, third in Congress
Jack Lambert, senior, second in Congress
Will Griffith, senior finalist in Congress
Sara Tabin, junior, third in Impromptu
Jordan Blake, finalist in Impromptu
Siri Reilly, freshman, finalist in Impromptu
Katie Kelley, junior, second in Lincoln Douglas
Will Doyle, sophomore, second in foreign Extemp
Emma Louden, sophomore, first in Oratory
Isabella Canada, freshman, third in Oratory
Steven Pasinsky/ Gavin Schenk, freshmen, finalists in Public Forum
Alex Whitty/ Vincent Jedlicka, freshmen, finalists in Public Forum
Trending In: Education
- Education briefs: Parley’s Park Elementary School accepting donations for makerspace
- Education briefs: Trailside Elementary School is having auditions
- Park City School District emphasizes mental health, security after Florida school shooting
- Eduation briefs: Communities that Care to host event for parents
- Elementary students to receive arts education
- UDOT doesn’t have any plans to change speed limit on S.R. 224
- Park City Mountain ski resort still on schedule to open Nov. 21
- Petra Butler to resign from Park City Board of Education
- Letters: Park City purchase of electric vehicles is misguided and misleading
- Tom Clyde: Accepting that the West is no longer wild