Fire guts basement in Silver Springs
A fire that destroyed a basement also killed a dog inside the house at 1460 W. Meadow Loop Road Sunday at about 6 p.m.
"We took it in the ambulance and checked the vitals, but it was dead and it was a bummer for everybody," Assistant Park City Fire Chief Bob Zanetti said about the dog that perished. "It was a friend of the owner’s dog. She was there and she was upset."
A fire crew from The Canyons arrived at the house within four minutes of receiving the call at 5:55 p.m., Zanetti said.
"We got there and it was verified upon arrival that there was nobody in the house. We had a fully involved basement fire, flames were coming out of the lower windows," Zanetti said. "A friend of the occupant’s was in town and when they came home, they noticed that the basement was on fire They opened up the front door and there was tons of smoke."
Fourteen firefighters from The Canyons, Pinebrook and Old Town battled the blaze with two engines and a fire truck, Zanetti said.
"They did a knockdown from the exterior because basement fires can be really, really dangerous, because it compromises the floor above," Zanetti explained. "A couple times a year firefighters are injured or killed from falling through floors."
An unattended fire left in a wood-burning stove in the basement likely caused the blaze, Zanetti said.
"The owner had said that he had started a fire in the wood-burning stove before he left," Zanetti said. "You should never leave your house with a fire going in it, and that’s including candles or a wood-burning stove."
Firefighters stayed until 9:30 p.m. Sunday, and Monday the fire was investigated.
"It was a total loss in the basement area and there was heavy smoke damage through the entire home," Zanetti said. "There was heavy, heavy smoke through the entire structure The owners were not able to reoccupy the home."
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Park City officials are preparing to take what is considered to be an important step in protecting the Treasure land from wildfires. City Hall in early June requested proposals from firms interested in the work.