Firefighters put out three separate blazes in immediate Park City area
Firefighters on Sunday put out three separate blazes in the immediate Park City area, a rare outbreak that had the crews on scenes that day from the overnight hours until the evening.
None of the fires spread more than a few feet beyond the location where they started, and only one of the fires damaged a structure, the Park City Fire District said.
Some of the details, according to the Fire District, include:
At 12:56 a.m., the Fire District was called to Richardson Flat Road along the S.R. 248 entryway after a mattress was reported to be ablaze. Bob Zanetti, the Fire District’s assistant chief, said the blaze remained under investigation and it appears to have been started by a person.
Zanetti said firefighters from nearby Wasatch County put out the mattress fire. Park City Police Department dispatchers received a report about the fire, with the person making the call indicating it was a brush fire. Zanetti, though, said no acreage was burned. The mattress and trash at the location were consumed, though.
At 4:20 p.m., firefighters responded to a call on the 2100 block of Sunrise Circle, a small street in Prospector, where a deck outside a house was ablaze. Zanetti said it appears that an errant cigarette started the fire. Nobody was home at the time, he said, and neighbors responded quickly.
The neighbors and Park City police officers extinguished the visible flames before firefighters arrived, Zanetti said.
"We were very fortunate we had some help from some citizens," Zanetti said, adding, "That could have run right into the house."
He said the neighbors saw smoke rising from the deck.
"They saw a big plume of smoke. The deck was just getting going," Zanetti said.
At 6:15 p.m., what Zanetti describes as a "small grass fire" was reported off Meadows Drive across the street from the Park Meadows Country Club clubhouse. It burned a patch of grass approximately 15 feet by 15 feet in area, Zanetti said. The Police Department indicated in its logs the fire was near the 18th hole of the country club’s golf course.
Zanetti said an errant cigarette or a firework could have started the fire, but investigators did not find evidence of either. Sunday was the day after Pioneer Day, a holiday that many people celebrate with fireworks. The Police Department received a few complaints about fireworks in the days surrounding Pioneer Day as well as the holiday itself.
"There was no ignition source around there," Zanetti said.
A groundkeeper at the country club used a fire extinguisher to put out the grass fire, Zanetti said.
In another case, handled initially by the Police Department, unspecified items were reported to be smoldering on steps on the 300 block of Main Street. The Fire District was called as well, but police logs did not provide details.
Zanetti said the statewide fire danger is high, with underbrush and other vegetation starting to dry out. The dry vegetation could provide the fuel needed for a fire to spread. He expects the danger to remain high through September.
"Everybody needs to be careful, and things are going to continue to dry out," Zanetti said.
There have long been concerns that an out-of-control brush fire could be devastating inside Park City or in the Snyderville Basin. Numerous houses are built at the edge of forested land. In some neighborhoods, such as Old Town, meanwhile, houses are built within a few feet of each other and close to wooded hillsides.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Hideout’s original master developer is suing the town and planner for $100 million.