Last year, the people of Utah were challenged to make a New Year’s Resolution to help save lives and sign up on the Yes Utah Donor Registry. Well, people listened, they made their resolutions and phenomenal things happened. In 2005, over 25,000 people said "yes" last year to organ, eye and tissue either on their Utah Driver License, state ID card, or by going online to http://www.yesutah.org. The Utah Donor Registry now has over 1,035,000 people, or about 66 percent of the population of Utah, signed up. Compared to the rest of the nation, Utah has one of the highest rates of participation on a donor registry. This says a lot about the giving, caring, nature of the citizens of Utah. Because of these high participation rates, good things happen. If you need a liver transplant, Utah is the place to be. A patient is almost twice as likely to get a liver transplant in Utah within one year as the national average. Again, it’s people caring about people and doing something about it. The Good Samaritan Living Kidney Donor Program continues to grow and save lives. From this time last year, over 500 people have inquired about this program, with 20 people actually becoming donors. Most often, the gap between those who inquire and those that actually become donors is because of medical conditions that preclude the potential donor from being able to donate. One living donor, Steven Crump of Salt Lake City, learned he had a liver condition while being evaluated for kidney donation. Having caught the problem in time, he was able to heal his liver, and still donated his kidney to a complete stranger. Thanks to the people of Utah, who care so much about their fellow citizens, we are ending the suffering of those waiting for transplants. Although 66 percent of Utahns have joined the registry, the remaining 34 percent have yet to sign up. If you haven’t joined the Utah Donor Registry, I challenge you to sign up by either saying "yes" on your driver license or by going online to http://www.yesutah.org or call 1-866-937-8824. Get the facts and help save lives.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
After 2 avalanche deaths in as many years, the backcountry gate leading to Dutch Draw gets attention
The last two Utah skiers or snowboarders to die from avalanches have left from the same backcountry gate at Park City Mountain Resort. Some are wondering why it remains open.