Kimball Junction buildings evacuated due to gas leak | ParkRecord.com

Kimball Junction buildings evacuated due to gas leak

Several buildings in Kimball Junction were evacuated Monday afternoon due to a gas leak.
Courtesy of Summit County

The Sheldon Richins Building, Kimball Junction transit center and a handful of businesses were evacuated Monday afternoon due to a natural gas leak near Ute Boulevard, Summit County officials said.

According to tweets from Summit County, the Park City Fire District, working with the Summit County Sheriff’s Office, ordered the evacuations. In addition to the county facilities, a nearby McDonald’s, Taco Bell and strip mall housing a pizza restaurant were also evacuated.

Tricia Hurd Hazelrigg, a spokesperson with the Park City Fire District, said a construction crew installing communications lines underneath the road near the Sheldon Richins Building punctured a gas line. Officials with Dominion Energy were on scene attempting to clamp three lines and repair the leak.

The gas leak caused one section of road to buckle, but the Dominion Energy crew clamping the first of the three lines alleviated the buckle, Hazelrigg said. No medical issues related to the leak were reported.

The evacuations were lifted Monday evening, though officials indicated repair work was expected to continue into Tuesday.

Summit County advised drivers to avoid Ute Boulevard between S.R. 224 and the Kimball Junction transit center roundabout.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.