Log ignites fire at Park Regency | ParkRecord.com

Log ignites fire at Park Regency

ANNA BLOOM Of the Record Staff

December 15, Park City Fire District responded to a fire in the Park Regency hotel on Prospector Avenue at 2:43 p.m. According to Front Desk Manager Dino Chihuahua, the fire that began when an employee dumped a hot log from a fireplace into a bag of linens in a second-floor suite. The fire was nearly out by the time firefighters arrived, Chihuahua said, but it did leave an indelible mark: the fire burned through carpeting glued to the cement balcony, and the hand railing attached to the balcony. "No one was hurt and [firefighters] came here in five minutes," he said. "There really wasn’t much damage. We just need to replace a spot on the carpet and repaint the side of the wall."

In their report, firemen confirm the blaze had been extinguished and mostly cleaned upon their arrival. Firefighters report they used a thermal imager to check for other hot spots around the burned area and cooled the area further using a water can.

Park City Fire District spokeswoman Tricia Hurd would like to remind residents to be careful with ashes and remnants from fireplaces as a surprising number of fires are caused by the improper disposal of hot ashes. Ashes can retain enough heat to start a fire for several days, she says. The proper method of ash disposal is to place ashes in a metal container and cool them with water.

For a free metal ash bucket, stop by the Park City Fire Prevention Office at 730 W. Bitner Road or contact Tricia Hurd at 649-6706 ext. 114.