Miners’ hoops teams soar past Ravens | ParkRecord.com

Miners’ hoops teams soar past Ravens

Adia Waldburger, of the Record staff

It was a win on both ends for Park City as the boys’ and girls’ teams defeated the Waterford Ravens on successive nights this week.


The Miners were tested somewhat in the first half by the Ravens, who were able to come within two points of Park City in the second quarter.

Head coach Matt Mapstone said that he decided to start a tall lineup during the Miners’ game on Wednesday. But when they were barely hanging onto a lead at halftime, he told the team to feed the ball inside to their two tallest players, Lauren Deane and Nicole Bishop. The planned worked as Park City outscored Waterford 10-4 in the third quarter. The Ravens rebounded in the fourth but couldn’t make up the difference as Park City won 42-31.

"It’s obvious that there’s nobody that can guard Nicole," Mapstone said of the six-foot six-inch center.

With the ball coming to both Deane and Bishop, the duo led the team in scoring, with Deane finishing with 20 points on the night and Bishop with 11. The Miners also were able to dominate the boards, which helped secure the win.

Recommended Stories For You

"We pulled away," Mapstone said. "We had lots of rebounds and played great."

Park City is currently sitting in a three-way tie with Union and Uintah for third place in the region with a few more tough games ahead. Mapstone said he was a bit concerned after the loss to Union last Friday but says the team is ready for the rest of the season.

"They’re excited we’re going to make the playoffs," Mapstone said.


Thank goodness for Searle Vincent. It was his three-pointer at the end of regulation in Tuesday’s game against Waterford that sent the Miners to a nine-point win in overtime.

"We really didn’t deserve to go into overtime," admitted Park City head coach Jim Boyce. "We didn’t execute very well at the end of the game."

With less than a minute to go in the game, Park City was down by five points. The Miners were still down by three with just a few seconds left when Ryan Papez took control after a broken play and found Searle Vincent, who hit the three-point shot.

In overtime, the Miners caught another break when the Ravens’ six-foot eight-inch Neil Monsen fouled out. Park City was able to get a quick lead by shooting layups against Waterford’s press.

"We executed against their press," Boyce said. "They didn’t have a guy back and we were able to throw over the top."

This was the second meeting between the two teams, and the second time they have beaten Waterford by nine points. Still, Boyce said he was impressed by the Ravens’ improvement.

"Waterford had just as much right to that game as we did," Boyce said.

He said their very meticulous style of play was hard to defend. Waterford was able to a lot of time off of the clock on every possession, and executed a zone defense against the Miners.

"They were very disciplined, very methodical," Boyce said. "It’s tough to play against those teams."

Park City is sitting in the No. 4 spot in the region, which means it will earn a trip to the state playoffs for the first time in a number of seasons.

"It’s been a while," Boyce said. "That’s a big accomplishment for the kids."

The Miners will host Uintah on Feb. 5. The girls’ game is at 5:15 p.m. followed by the boys’ game at 7 p.m.