National Fire Prevention Week in Park City Schools
Park City firefighters brought their fire trucks, cool gear and hot tips to share with students of Park City schools during the week of Oct. 8-14 as a part of National Fire Prevention Week.
This year’s theme was "Prevent cooking fires: watch what you heat." More home fires start in the kitchen than in any other part of the home. Students from all grades attended the presentations.
"Did you know that the town of Park City burned down twice?" captain Bob Evans of Station 35 asked 19 students of Jeanette Raymer’s fifth-grade class. "Now how stupid is that to burn down your own city?"
Evans told students that fire safety has come a long way, and pointing out all of the safety features built into Jeremy Ranch Elementary School, typical of modern school construction. He said schools are built of brick, have only one or two levels and plenty of exits. He also said school rooms have ceiling sprinklers that turn on automatically should a fire start. And alarms are connected directly to the fire department.
Evans and other firefighters from Station 35 demonstrated the high-tech gear they use to fight fires. One student who donned an optic-green hazardous-materials suit looked like Sponge Bob in the protective garb. Containing uncontained hazardous materials is an added responsibility of the Park City Fire Department.
The National Fire Prevention Association sponsors Fire Prevention Week. Founded in 1896, the association is the world’s leading advocate of fire prevention. Building codes in the U.S. and other countries have been established and refined by NFPA.
Evans moved into fire prevention in the kitchen. He said that fire extinguishers in the kitchen should not be stored under the sink, because the extinguisher could be too close to a stove fire to retrieve. A safer location is in a broom closet where it can be easily located, preferably on a route out of the home should the fire quickly spread, he said.
Pans with handles sticking out over the edge of a range can easily be bumped into, causing burns from spilled contents. Covering a pot with a lid is a quick way to extinguish a fire in the pot.
Captain Evans moved to fire prevention in the furnace room. He said people commonly use the room as a storage room. "That’s not a good idea," he said. Fires often start by combustibles stored right next to the furnace." He suggested any items in the furnace room be at least three feet from a furnace or water heater.
Student Patrick Johnson, 10, said he thought the firefighters’ presentation was "cool." He said he learned some things, but that his parents had already cleaned out a lot of stuff in the furnace room.
Park City Fire District will hold an open house and new fire station dedication at Atkinson Fire Station 37 on Saturday Oct. 14, 2006, ending Fire Prevention Week. The "Life Safety House" will be open for tour. The trailer/home, contains safety hazards in each room as preventive teaching tools for kids.
The open house runs from 1 p.m.-4 p.m., with the station dedication at 2 p.m. Light refreshments will be served after the dedication, and fun stuff will be given to children.
Atkinson Fire Station 37 is located at 6534 Promontory Ranch Road in Park City.
For more information contact Tricia Hurd: (435) 940-2514
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User