Chicken coop in Prospector destroyed in fire, chickens saved
December 11, 2013
A chicken coop was destroyed and a swing set was damaged in a small fire in a Prospector backyard on Tuesday, the Park City Fire District said.
The Fire District responded to a report at 6:11 p.m. on the 2100 block of Comstock Drive. Bob Zanetti, an assistant fire chief, said two engines and an ambulance rushed to the scene. The firefighters found visible flames when they arrived. They quickly put out the fire.
They found the chicken coop underneath the swing set, Zanetti said. All six of the chickens in the coop were saved. Zanetti said the chickens moved far enough away from the flames to save themselves. A few of the chickens suffered "minor singed feathers," Zanetti said.
The homeowner and the firefighters gathered the chickens and put them into a large dog crate, Zanetti said. They were then taken to the house of a friend of the owner, he said.
The house did not suffer damage. Nobody was injured.
Zanetti said the Fire District during its investigation found an extension cord running from the house to the chicken coop. Heat lamps were found in the coop, he said. Investigators are focusing on the heat lamps and whether they might have been placed too close to a combustible material such as hay, Zanetti said.
Recommended Stories For You
The Park City Police Department described the swing set as being a playhouse. The police said it was "fully engulfed" when officers arrived.
Trending In: Park City
- Snowboarder dies after accident at Park City Mountain Resort
- Deer Valley Resort announces capital improvements for 2019/2020 winter
- Hedge fund manager, injured skiing, sues Deer Valley for $60 million
- Shanghai university exhibit made possible by Parkite’s family recalls Sino-American alliance
- Hundreds of pounds of ice, snow release from Main Street roof
- Deer Valley, searching for parking, tapped garage in Main Street core
- Police investigate man’s death near Park City Cemetery
- Heber resident’s garden sustains an endangered species: the ski bum
- For the Record: Are multi-resort passes like the Epic and Ikon offerings good for skiing?
- Wyoming man sentenced for attempted murder at Summit County convenience store