Chimney fire forces evacuations on lower Main Street | ParkRecord.com

Chimney fire forces evacuations on lower Main Street

by Jay Hamburger THE PARK RECORD
Firefighters climb to the roof of a building on lower Main Street as they respond to a chimney fire on Monday evening. Approximately 50 people were temporarily forced out of the building. Jay Hamburger/Park Record
20160426__9cityp1

The Park City Fire District responded to a chimney fire on lower Main Street Monday evening, temporarily forcing approximately 50 people out of the building.

Steve Zwirn, a battalion chief who was at the scene, said the fire was reported at a little bit before 6:30 p.m. The fire was out by the time firefighters arrived, he said.

The chimney is located at a restaurant at the Marriott Summit Watch, he said. Zwirn said initial reports indicated there was lots of smoke and flames rising from the chimney. Three fire engines responded.

The Park City Police Department closed Main Street to traffic outside the location. The people forced out of the building milled about watching as they waited to be allowed back inside.

The police said in an online statement firefighters determined the situation was a "flash fire in the exhaust pipe of a pizza oven." The fire did not cause damage, the police said.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.