Fire damages Main Street building
Flames traced to a cigarette receptacle
A fire damaged the exterior of a Main Street building early on Saturday morning, the Park City Building Department said, indicating that surveillance video showed the blaze start just outside the structure.
The fire started at Bistro 412, located at 412 Main St., in the overnight hours and was discovered at 6 a.m. Kurt Simister, the Park City fire marshal, said the fire was traced to a cigarette receptacle, a pole-like canister designed to hold used cigarette butts. It was on a deck just outside the front of the restaurant.
Simister said so many cigarette butts were deposited in the receptacle that they combusted. The fire melted through the receptacle and ignited the building walls at a corner. The flames spread up to 10 feet high and 2 feet wide, Simister said. A Bistro 412 employee discovered the fire when he arrived at work.
Simister said a surveillance camera at Bistro 412 recorded the fire. He said the footage showed smoke starting at 1:50 a.m. and then flames several hours later. The Park City Fire District quickly extinguished the fire. He said a small part of the fire extended into the front entry of Bistro 412. Firefighters cut open a small area in the interior ceiling of Bistro 412 to extinguish a hotspot.
Damage is estimated at approximately $10,000, he said. Nobody was injured.
Simister said soot and smoke from the fire reached the nearby O.C. Tanner building. It was not damaged.
The Bistro 412 owner, Steve McComb, said a prep cook called the authorities when he saw and smelled the smoke. McComb said crews in the middle of the week continued to repair the damage. He said an interior post that firefighters cut with a chainsaw must be replaced. Drywall work, insulation work and painting is also needed, he said.
Bistro 412 plans to reopen for dinner on Thursday.
“It was all pretty much superficial,” McComb said about the damage.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Park City officials are preparing to take what is considered to be an important step in protecting the Treasure land from wildfires. City Hall in early June requested proposals from firms interested in the work.