Man accused of attempting to deal cocaine on Main Street |

Man accused of attempting to deal cocaine on Main Street


The Park City Police Department arrested a man suspected of attempting to sell cocaine on Main Street last week, saying officers found the person with the drug packaged for sale to individuals.

Phil Kirk, a police captain, said an officer saw the man on Main Street and realized he was on probation. Staffers at the No Name Saloon were ordering him out of the establishment at a little bit after 10:30 p.m. on Sept. 17 when the officer saw him, Kirk and a Police Department online posting indicated. The officer arrested the man on a charge of intoxication and saw a "visible white, powdery residue" around his left nostril, he said. The officer also smelled a strong odor of alcohol on his breath, Kirk said.

The officer searched the man after the arrest, finding two bindles of a substance suspected to be cocaine in a pant pocket, according to Kirk. He was taken to the Summit County Jail. He was again searched at the jail. Kirk said approximately eight additional bindles were found in a pant pocket and one bindle was found in a shirt pocket.

The Police Department filed preliminary drug charges against the man, a 46-year-old Old Town resident. The police charged him with two counts of possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute and a charge of possession of a controlled substance in a correctional facility. He was also charged with intoxication and disorderly conduct. The most serious of the charges one of the charges involving intent to distribute is a first-degree felony, punishable by a prison sentence of between five years and life and a $10,000 fine upon conviction.

Kirk said the police arrested the man just outside the No Name Saloon. He said there is no evidence the establishment had prior knowledge of the man’s suspected drug activity. Kirk said the man was in several nightclubs the same night.

The owner of the No Name Saloon, Jesse Shetler, said the manager noticed the man inside and had concerns.

Recommended Stories For You

"It just appeared to my manager there was something suspicious going on," Shetler said. "It just looked fishy to my manager. It was out of the norm."

The manager ordered the man to leave. He left without incident, Shetler said. The police arrested him once he was outside the No Name Saloon, he said. Nobody at the No Name Saloon called the police, according to Shetler.

Shetler said the manager was suspicious the man was involved in a "drug transaction" inside the No Name Saloon just before he was told to leave.

"It looked like a secretive transaction was happening," he said.

Shetler said there is a zero tolerance policy regarding drugs at the No Name Saloon.