Porter Hancock returns home | ParkRecord.com

Porter Hancock returns home

Christopher Kamrani, The Park Record

Ten weeks after his life was changed forever, Porter Hancock received a special holiday-season present.

The South Summit junior, who was paralyzed in an Oct. 7 football game at Emery High School, was released from the hospital Friday and came home to a brand new, custom-built home in Oakley.

According to a press release from the Hancock family, their previous home was a split-level house with narrow hallways and small doors where it would have been extremely difficult for Porter to maneuver around in a wheelchair.

The new home was erected in eight weeks. Volunteers built it from scratch with materials provided by suppliers with the help from fundraisers across the state.

"There are many, many people we want to thank, but all asked to remain anonymous," said Andy Woolstenhulme, Porter’s uncle and the family spokesman in a release Friday. "The hard part about building the home in eight weeks was that we couldn’t really schedule it because we had to go as fast as we could.

"We only lost about two days time because contractors simply came when they were needed. Workers finished the tiling on the backsplash at 12:30 this morning and volunteers came back to clean early this morning to finish within minutes of Porter’s arrival. It was pretty cool to see the look on his face; I think he was a little overwhelmed. It was pretty emotional."

Recommended Stories For You

Throughout his extended stay in the hospital and his time in rehab, Porter was supported by many of the collegiate football programs in Utah and across the nation. Many players and coaches took time to visit him in the hospital, and their programs also lent a helping hand in the construction of Porter’s therapy room at the new home. According to the release, the specialty room is lined with footballs signed by players and coaches from the University of Utah, BYU, Utah State University and Weber State University.

"When I came through the door, I was speechless," Porter said. "I didn’t know what to think. I couldn’t wait to get out of the hospital, being stuck in the same room for two months. I couldn’t sleep at all last night. I just want to say thank you to everybody, most of you I don’t even know. It is very overwhelming."

According to the same release, Porter has partial use of his arms and hands and he said he is doing "better than expected." He plans on continuing with his therapy each day and aims at making it back to South Summit sometime after the new year.

"It is just a relief," said Porter’s mother, Jill Hancock. "To walk through those doors after 10 weeks and see what people have done for us; I can’t believe it. It is amazing and so unreal that people would do so much for our family."

Quotes and information in this article were provided by a press release from the Hancock family.