Porter Hancock working relentlessly in rehab | ParkRecord.com

Porter Hancock working relentlessly in rehab

Christopher Kamrani, The Park Record

Jill Hancock is hoping her son can achieve a major goal of his.

Porter Hancock, a junior linebacker at South Summit High School who was partially paralyzed in the Wildcats’ 40-15 win at Emery on Oct. 7, is hopeful his teammates can meet him in the middle.

If South Summit moved past Beaver in last night’s game, the Wildcats will play the winner of Manti-Emery next Saturday, Nov. 5, in Pleasant Grove in the 2A state semifinal. If that happens, Porter could very well be a spectator on the sidelines.

"(The therapists) said they really don’t see a reason why he can’t," Jill Hancock said. "He’s working toward that. Hopefully he’ll win and they’ll win."

Jill Hancock said in order for her son to reach that plateau, he must first complete two smaller outings in his motorized wheelchair. She said he has been able to zip around the University of Utah Rehabilitation Center and go anywhere in the hospital. She said he spends much of his time in the game room, watching the big-screen television.

She said Porter goes through three different types of therapy which total roughly four hours of rehabilitation a day.

"They keep him pretty busy, which helps," Hancock said. "He seems to be improving every day. He’s very determined. They do everything they tell him to do and he wants to do some more. He’s very determined to do everything he can to get back better."

According to his mother, Porter is a big fan of the University of Texas football program.

Aaron Alford, who is the director of high school relations for University of Utah football, contacted the University of Texas football program in support of Porter and the program sent the injured Wildcat a gift.

"They sent him a Texas jersey," Jill Hancock said. "It’s a practice jersey. It says ‘Hancock’."

Utah State University head coach Gary Andersen made a visit to Porter a couple weeks ago, and University of Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham, along with eight Utah players visited him last week.

Jill Hancock said when some close friends visited Porter last week, they asked if his rehab regimen is harder than two-a-day practices and he said no.

She added that Porter is ahead of schedule in terms of rehab and that he is always eager to do more.

"They’re sure to tell him, ‘You shouldn’t be worry. You’re kind of ahead of the game, so we’re just teaching you whatever you can,’" Jill Hancock said.

She said therapists estimate Porter will spend eight weeks in rehab before being released; he has already been in rehab two weeks and Jill Hancock estimates his release to be around mid-December.

Every night, Porter has his mother read all the well wishes and prayers left for him on his Facebook page, she said.

In a rivalry game between Bountiful and Woods Cross on Oct. 14, a fundraiser in support of Porter was held and Jill Hancock said members from the teams came in to present Porter with the check.

"It’s meant a ton. It’s amazing," she said. "The people at the front desk don’t even have to look up what room number to send people to; they just know."


See more