Some trails are off limits |

Some trails are off limits

Patrick Parkinson, Of the Record staff

Maps showing what types of motorized vehicles are allowed in what areas of the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest are now available online.

"More and more Americans are enjoying access and recreational opportunities on national forests and every user has the responsibility to make sure he or she knows where their motorized vehicles are allowed," Forest Supervisor Brian Ferebee said in a prepared statement.

Maps of the Kamas, Evanston/Mountain View and Ogden ranger districts are available at

"It is a map that shows individuals what the roads are designated for, and it would benefit anyone who is using the forest to get one of those," Uinta-Wasatch-Cache spokeswoman Kathy Jo Pollock said in a telephone interview.

A road or trail not on the map is not open to public use, she explained.

"If someone has [used a motorized vehicle on an undesignated trail] and we have an individual patrolling the area, they can be given a ticket," Pollock said. "That map will uphold our regulations and our laws."

Recommended Stories For You

The laws apply to cars, trucks, motorcycles, all terrain vehicles, snowmobiles and other off highway machines, she said.

National forests are required to identify and designate roads, Ferebee said.

Free black-and-white maps can be obtained at the U.S. Forest Service office on the Mirror Lake Highway in Kamas. The maps will be re-issued annually to include updates and reflect new travel management decisions, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

Hikers, skiers and snowshoers can still find solace from noise in wilderness areas where bicycles aren’t even allowed, Pollock stressed.

"There are quite a few trails that are designated for non-motorized," she said. "Anything that is in wilderness is non-motorized."