Avalanche buries skier from Wanship
February 3, 2016
The body of a skier who was reported missing Sunday has been located buried under several feet of snow in the backcountry area behind the Canyons Village at Park City Mountain Resort.
At around 2 p.m. Tuesday, Summit County Search and Rescue crews found Stephen Jones, 50, of Wanship, under about three feet of snow in an area called Shale Shot, according to a press release from the Summit County Sheriff’s Office. The release said an avalanche about 60-feet wide and 500-feet long appeared to be the cause of burial.
Jones was located after a rescue beacon received a signal and led volunteers to set up a probe-line search.
A family member reported Jones missing at around 9 p.m. Sunday evening after he failed to return from a day of skiing at Canyons Village at Park City Mountain Resort. His vehicle was still in the Cabriolet parking lot.
A search was suspended Monday night due to weather conditions and resumed early Tuesday with the assistance of the Park City Mountain Resort ski patrol, Utah Department of Public Safety, AirMed and Life Flight aircrews.
Searchers had been concentrating on an area in the backcountry where Jones’ cell phone was known to have last pinged. Canyons Village closed the Ninety-Nine 90 gate to limit the number of people and beacons during the search.
Recommended Stories For You
Detective Kacey Bates had described Jones as a "very experienced and knowledgeable" skier.
Friends of Jones have set up a GoFundMe page to assist his family with expenses. To donate, visit GoFundMe.com/StephenJones50.
Trending In: Summit County
- Summit County joins discussion about state’s roadless rules petition
- Master plan submitted to Wasatch County for Mayflower property
- Sheriff’s Office allows deputies to grow beards again
- Court report: Kamas man sentenced for unlawful sexual activity with a minor
- Owner of Karaoke Cab sentenced, still maintains innocence
- Wasatch County approves major development tied to Deer Valley
- Park City drivers pulled over at speeds well above posted limits
- Summit County inundated with complaints about Kilby Road construction (w/video)
- Punctured gas line in Park City prompts evacuations
- Attendance at Park City Red Bull 400 climbs in 2018 (w/video)