Become a bunny this year
February 26, 2013
The Christian Center of Park City is collecting Easter baskets and basket items for Summit County children.
Similar to Operation Hope, in which the Christian Center collects Christmas presents to give to low-income children, Easter Basket Outreach gives Easter baskets to children who might not otherwise receive any.
"It’s a fun way during the Easter holiday to give them something they may not have at all," Christian Center Executive Director Rob Harter said. "As you are buying Easter candy or gifts, buy an extra bag and bring it over to the Center and it will go to one of these children. In the past, we have said no chocolate because of the potential to melt, but I’m thinking that kids love these chocolates, so we are accepting them this year."
When families sign up for the program, they provide the gender and ages of their children.
"We can’t guarantee anything, but we try to give them an age- and gender- appropriate basket as much as possible," Harter said.
There are two locations to drop off Easter items: the Christian Center, located at 1283 Deer Valley Drive in Park City, and Snow Creek Medical Center, located at 1600 Snow Creek Drive in Park City.
Recommended Stories For You
Donations for the baskets will be accepted until March 18.
The program is in its third year. The first year, the Christian Center did not have enough baskets for the number of children signed up. The second year, the Christian Center had just enough, with 200 baskets.
This year, the goal is to provide over 250 baskets.
"We are committed to this, so we set a goal and we trust that they will come in," Harter said.
If the Christian Center is not able to collect enough baskets, however, he said it will purchase baskets for the rest of the children.
"We will make sure that every child gets something," he said.
The Christian Center is also looking for volunteers to put the baskets together.
For more information about Easter Basket Outreach, or to volunteer for the program, contact Christian Center Special Events Coordinator Linda Lyles at 435-649-2260.
Ideas for donations
Monetary donations can be made through the Christian Center.
Trending In: Summit County
- Few commuters taking advantage of remote parking lot on Kilby Road
- Government shutdown impacting federal workers in Summit County
- Traffic signs on S.R. 224 part of in-vehicle traffic app development
- Court report: Henefer man sentenced to 10 days in jail for DUI
- Sheriff’s report: Heber City man shows up to court on Sunday intoxicated
- Park City municipal attorney resigns in months after hunting goods case
- Sundance 2019: no Women’s March on Main, no Respect Rally in Park City
- Mountain Town News: Why aren’t more people hunting powder?
- Guest editorial: None of us will reverse climate change, so stop talking about it
- Record editorial: Take a breath before Sundance, World Championships collide