Become a bunny this year
February 26, 2013
The Christian Center of Park City is collecting Easter baskets and basket items for Summit County children.
Similar to Operation Hope, in which the Christian Center collects Christmas presents to give to low-income children, Easter Basket Outreach gives Easter baskets to children who might not otherwise receive any.
"It’s a fun way during the Easter holiday to give them something they may not have at all," Christian Center Executive Director Rob Harter said. "As you are buying Easter candy or gifts, buy an extra bag and bring it over to the Center and it will go to one of these children. In the past, we have said no chocolate because of the potential to melt, but I’m thinking that kids love these chocolates, so we are accepting them this year."
When families sign up for the program, they provide the gender and ages of their children.
"We can’t guarantee anything, but we try to give them an age- and gender- appropriate basket as much as possible," Harter said.
There are two locations to drop off Easter items: the Christian Center, located at 1283 Deer Valley Drive in Park City, and Snow Creek Medical Center, located at 1600 Snow Creek Drive in Park City.
Recommended Stories For You
Donations for the baskets will be accepted until March 18.
The program is in its third year. The first year, the Christian Center did not have enough baskets for the number of children signed up. The second year, the Christian Center had just enough, with 200 baskets.
This year, the goal is to provide over 250 baskets.
"We are committed to this, so we set a goal and we trust that they will come in," Harter said.
If the Christian Center is not able to collect enough baskets, however, he said it will purchase baskets for the rest of the children.
"We will make sure that every child gets something," he said.
The Christian Center is also looking for volunteers to put the baskets together.
For more information about Easter Basket Outreach, or to volunteer for the program, contact Christian Center Special Events Coordinator Linda Lyles at 435-649-2260.
Ideas for donations
Monetary donations can be made through the Christian Center.
Trending In: Summit County
- Summit County firefighters arrive in California to help battle deadly blazes
- Summit County contributes $500,000 toward preservation of Basin farm
- Park City veterans honored by the University of Utah for their service
- Election Day voters in Summit County upset ballots weren’t counted on Tuesday
- UPDATED: Summit County Councilor re-elected over write-in candidate
- Report shows slowing sales in Park City area as housing costs continue to rise
- Experienced surgeon opens Elevation Plastic Surgery
- New four-season resort to open on Blue Sky Ranch
- U.S. Ski and Snowboard seeks hundreds to volunteer for largest ski competition in Park City since Olympics
- UPDATED: One suspect who led a foot pursuit in Bear Hollow Village arrested