Car crashes through Rail Trail fence
February 26, 2013
Thomas Hamilton, 54, from Hoytsville, is facing multiple charges after driving his Hummer on the Historic Union Pacific Rail Trail.
The Rail Trail is a non-motorized trail intended for jogging, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding and Nordic skiing.
Hamilton was traveling west on Interstate 80 the morning of Sunday, Feb. 24, when he left the highway prior to Wanship, crashed into a fence and drove onto the Rail Trail.
Hamilton then continued driving on the Rail Trail through Silver Creek Canyon.
Utah Highway Patrol officers observed Hamilton driving on the Rail Trail and notified Summit County Sheriff deputies, who intercepted him in Silver Summit, near the U.S. 40 interchange.
While traveling along the Rail Trail, Hamilton drove over two pedestrian bridges.
Recommended Stories For You
"Those bridges are very narrow. Somehow he was able to navigate that without causing any more damage," Summit County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Justin Martinez said.
When the deputies caught up to Hamilton, he was still dragging the fence behind his Hummer.
"We made contact to stop his reckless driving and held him until Utah Highway Patrol officers arrived and then they made an arrest," Martinez said.
Park City Fire District fire trucks also responded to the scene to check Hamilton’s medical condition.
"When we have a situation where there appears to be a medical condition, whether its intoxication or a crash, they have to make sure the individual is cleared medically," Martinez said.
The Utah Highway Patrol issued citations for leaving the scene of a property damage accident, driving on a denied driver’s license, plates of a previous owner, no insurance, failure to keep within one lane and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Trending In: Summit County
- Summit County joins discussion about state’s roadless rules petition
- Master plan submitted to Wasatch County for Mayflower property
- Sheriff’s Office allows deputies to grow beards again
- Court report: Kamas man sentenced for unlawful sexual activity with a minor
- Owner of Karaoke Cab sentenced, still maintains innocence
- Wasatch County approves major development tied to Deer Valley
- Park City drivers pulled over at speeds well above posted limits
- Summit County inundated with complaints about Kilby Road construction (w/video)
- Punctured gas line in Park City prompts evacuations
- Attendance at Park City Red Bull 400 climbs in 2018 (w/video)