March 26, 2013
Increase in fee-in-lieu of affordable housing tabled
After a discussion during their meeting Wednesday, March 20, the Summit County Council decided not to increase the fee-in-lieu of affordable housing.
County staff had recommended the fee be increased from $86,610 per affordable unit equivalent to $120,000.
"We decided to study it further and leave the rates where they were," Councilmember Chris Robinson said. "The rationale was that we’re not getting much business at $86,000 and we may be so far out of the market that we’re just kidding ourselves."
Developers who are required to provide affordable housing can opt to pay a fee-in-lieu of the housing to the county.
The option was adopted in 2006 as part of a moderate income housing needs assessment.
Recommended Stories For You
According to County Planner Kimber Gabryszak, the original intent was to update the fee every few years. However, the fee has not been updated since the time of adoption.
The matter was tabled indefinitely.
United Way Day of Caring helps Park City
Park City will benefit from the 21st annual United Way of Salt Lake Day of Caring, which encourages volunteers to participate in local projects, such as landscaping, painting, reading and building garden boxes.
Some projects are already scheduled in Park City, but United Way is hoping more are forthcoming.
"Part of the reason we’re promoting the event this early is so that more community agencies in Park City can get involved in Day of Caring by submitting projects they’d like help with," United Way Spokeswoman Alicia Greenleigh said.
Last year, more than 4,000 people from 115 companies and groups volunteered, saving Utah communities more than $650,000. This year, United Way hopes more than 5,000 will volunteer.
Businesses, community and church groups, families and individuals are invited to participate.
Non-profit organizations and community agencies are also welcome to submit project proposals.
The deadline for sign-ups and proposals is May 31.
The Day of Caring will take place on Sept. 31, with a kick-off breakfast for all volunteers at 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. at the Gateway Mall in Salt Lake City.
Community agencies with project proposals may contact Heather McDonald at 801-736-7715.
Trending In: Summit County
- Summit County joins discussion about state’s roadless rules petition
- Master plan submitted to Wasatch County for Mayflower property
- Sheriff’s Office allows deputies to grow beards again
- Court report: Kamas man sentenced for unlawful sexual activity with a minor
- Owner of Karaoke Cab sentenced, still maintains innocence
- Wasatch County approves major development tied to Deer Valley
- Park City drivers pulled over at speeds well above posted limits
- Summit County inundated with complaints about Kilby Road construction (w/video)
- Punctured gas line in Park City prompts evacuations
- Attendance at Park City Red Bull 400 climbs in 2018 (w/video)