Driver suffers seizure on U.S. 40
March 1, 2016
The Utah Highway Patrol responded to a traffic accident when a California man, traveling with his young daughter, suffered a seizure while driving along U.S. 40 Monday.
The 58-year-old man and 7-year-old girl were transported to Park City Medical Center, said Lt. Randall Richey, with the Utah Highway Patrol. Richey said neither sustained injuries associated with the accident.
At around 8:45 a.m., the man was traveling eastbound on U.S. 40 when the seizure caused the car to veer off the road, striking a cable barrier before coming to a rest in the median.
"That’s one of the situations where the cable barrier really does help because the angle he went into the median he would definitely have went into oncoming traffic," Richey said.
A portion of one of the westbound lanes was closed while the accident was cleared. No other vehicles were involved.
Richey said the family is in the process of moving to Utah from California. He said the man’s wife was driving in a vehicle ahead of him and did not witness the accident. Richey said no citations were issued.
Recommended Stories For You
"Typically with medical issues we will let the driver’s license division know the person had a seizure and they will require them to see a doctor and get medically evaluated," Richey said. "They may take some action if they feel it affects their ability to drive."
Trending In: Summit County
- Sheriff’s report: Two vehicles burglarized at popular trailhead in the Snyderville Basin
- Court report: Francis woman pleads guilty to assault
- Owner of Karaoke Cab sentenced, still maintains innocence
- Curbside fees for trash collection in Summit County may increase
- Sheriff’s report: Man kicked out of Uber for trying to fight the driver
- PCMR indefinitely closes two upper-elevation bowls after losing lease
- Semi-truck leads deputies on chase through Kimball Junction
- USOC selects Salt Lake City to bid on Winter Olympics
- UDOT completes Utah’s largest wildlife crossing at Parleys Summit
- New Canyons Village condominiums will be under Montage’s Pendry Hotels